Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Default html on Fedora -- looking for "where to go"

Paul Allen Newell writes:

Community:

I have @330 htm pages that display wonderfully on Win XP under 4.01
Strict. No errors per w3C validator.

They won't even come close to proper display on Fedora 14. I can get
them validated successfully on F14 through w3c Validator, but I am
seeing error console reports in Firefox about "such-and-such function is
not defined". The weird part is that it only picks out selective
functions to not find in the *.js script, other functions in the *.js
script do not generate errors.

W3C does not validate Javascript, only HTML.

If you have Javascript that only works on MSIE, then that's what you have:
Javascript that only works on MSIE.

I did a search in Bugzilla for Firefox and multiple permutations of what
I thought the error was and didn't see anything.

I am looking for suggestions as to where to start digging on this one as

Start digging in your Javascript code. The fact that Firefox is complaining
about various Javascript functions is you big, honking clue.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Paul Allen Newell writes:

On 8/8/2011 4:12 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Start digging in your Javascript code. The fact that Firefox is
> complaining about various Javascript functions is you big, honking clue.

Sam:

Thanks for reply.

As mentioned in a prior response to Andras, since WinXP and F14 are both
using Firefox 3.6.18, I am still looking for the big honking clue about
the difference.

The browsers are probably exposing some OS specific resources to Javascript.
When the Javascript can't find something OS specific that it's looking for,
it dies.

I am getting prepared to create a simple test case with the hopes that
the problem will show itself as I strip down the actual html /
javascript (I was really hoping there was going to be a "oh, you need to
such-and-such" suggestion ... I figured it was worth the try asking)

Paul