Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Adam Tong

Default help needed on patitionning

Hi,

I cannot install fedora 15 in my new laptop.

the laptop is preinstalled with win7 family edition.

Had only one partition created a new one with a free win software "Minitool partition wizard home edition".

At the time of partitionning during the installation process it blocks giving me a message that it cannot allocate enough free space.

Here is what i see:

sda1 1500 ntfs
sda2 307240 ntfs
sda3 158669 Extended
sda5 141674 ntfs
sda6 16992 extended
sda4 9529 ntfs

I choose "create custom layout" then sda3, then selected / as the standard partition mount point

and the exact error messaage is: "Could not allocate requested partitions: not enough free space on disks"

Thank you

Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Kam Leo

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Adam Tong <helpcomm@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cannot install fedora 15 in my new laptop.
>
> the laptop is preinstalled with win7 family edition.
>
> Had only one partition created a new one with a free win software "Minitool partition wizard home edition".
>
> At the time of partitionning during the installation process it blocks giving me a message that it cannot allocate enough free space.
>
> Here is what i see:
>
> sda1 *1500 ntfs
> sda2 307240 ntfs
> sda3 158669 Extended
> * sda5 *141674 ntfs
> * sda6 16992 *extended
> sda4 9529 ntfs
>
> I choose "create custom layout" then sda3, then selected / as the standard partition mount point
>
> and the exact error messaage is: "Could not allocate requested partitions: not enough free space on disks"
>
> Thank you

You can only have 4 primary partitions per disk. Plus all your
partitions are formatted as NTFS.

Where did you want to install Fedora? Delete sda3 and/or sda4 if you
do not need the space for Windows and leave as unallocated space.
Point the Fedora installer at that unallocated disk space when you do
your install.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
夜神 岩男

On 08/07/2011 04:12 AM, Adam Tong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cannot install fedora 15 in my new laptop.

I think we can fix that.

> At the time of partitionning during the installation process it blocks giving me a message that it cannot allocate enough free space.

That is because it needs "free" disk space to allocate to a new
partition. In your partitioning scheme below everything is already
allocated. As in, sda3 is an extended partition (nothing wrong there),
and everything inside of it is already formatted, so there is no room to
make a new partition.

> Here is what i see:
>
> sda1 1500 ntfs
> sda2 307240 ntfs
> sda3 158669 Extended
> sda5 141674 ntfs
> sda6 16992 extended
> sda4 9529 ntfs
>
> I choose "create custom layout" then sda3, then selected / as the standard partition mount point

This is where the mistake is. You can't select "sda3" yet because it is
not blank space, it is an NTFS partition. You need to select sda3, then
select "delete partition". Then you must "create partition" which will
allow you to use the space you just freed as the base area for the
filesystem you are going to format to (probably btrfs or ext4).

You will need to delete sda6 also (I think) if you want to use that
space to create a swap partition area.

If this explanation doesn't make sense to you, ask a different way and
one of us will explain a different way.

Good luck and have fun with your new system!

-Iwao

Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 12:12 -0700, Adam Tong wrote:
> Had only one partition created a new one with a free win software
> "Minitool partition wizard home edition".

According to the documentation on the Fedora website, you didn't have to
do that. You could have let Fedora's installer shrink your original
drive partition down, to make room for the Fedora installation. But
never mind...

Which presumes that you shrank your original single partition down, and
made your new one in the space left over. You want to install Linux
into that new partition.

Rather than creating that new partition, you could have simply shrunk
the old partition and did nothing more, leaving some *unallocated* space
(not actually creating a new partition, and not formatting it), and
Linux could have automatically used that "free" space for its own
installation (that's the criteria Linux uses to find "free" space on
your drive - space that's not already allocated as a partition).

But it looks like your new partition was created, then formatted,
appearing as "used" disc space, even if it doesn't have any files in it.
So, you'd install Linux choosing to take over and replace an existing
partition, rather than using free space (since you don't have any,
according to how it thinks free space is determined). Just make sure
that you pick the new partition to re-use, not the old one.

That's assuming that you're trying to keep your Windows installation.
If you don't care about keeping it, then just use the whole disc for
Linux.

You might want to look through this part of the Fedora website:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help

Particularly this section:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartsetup-x86.html

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 AM
charles zeitler

--

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Adam Tong <helpcomm@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Here is what i see:
>
> sda1 *1500 ntfs
> sda2 307240 ntfs
> sda3 158669 Extended
> * sda5 *141674 ntfs
> * sda6 16992 *extended
> sda4 9529 ntfs

this doesn't look right, you should have
only one (or zero) extended 'partition'

can you post the results of the p command
from fdisk?

> I choose "create custom layout" then sda3, then selected / as the standard partition mount point

can't mount extended partitions..

charles zeitler

Love is the law, love under will.