Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Audio CDs not mounting

I'm using F14 with XFCE. Until recently, all went well. Last week, I
tried mounting a new audio CD that I'd bought so that I could listen to
it. Nothing happened. I tried with another new CD, and an older CD
that I"d used before, with no change. Checking /var/log/messages, I saw
this:

Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281593] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281604] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense
Key : Illegal Request [current]
Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281615] Info fld=0x10
Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281619] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add.
Sense: Illegal mode for this track
Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281632] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB:
Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 02 00
Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281650] end_request: I/O error,
dev sr0, sector 64

I posted this on the fedoraforum and got suggestions of hardware
problems. Checking, I quickly learned that DVDs and data CDs mounted
correctly. Alas, they've run out of suggestions. Checking today,
there's been no change except that there are no longer any appropriate
messages in the log. (No, rebooting is not an option. I'm not nuking
51 days of uptime Just Because somebody says "it can't hurt.") Does
anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/06/2011 05:44 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I'm using F14 with XFCE. Until recently, all went well. Last week, I
> tried mounting a new audio CD that I'd bought so that I could listen to
> it. Nothing happened. I tried with another new CD, and an older CD
> that I"d used before, with no change. Checking /var/log/messages, I saw
> this:
>
> Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281593] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0]
> Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
> Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281604] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense
> Key : Illegal Request [current]
> Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281615] Info fld=0x10
> Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281619] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add.
> Sense: Illegal mode for this track
> Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281632] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB:
> Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 02 00
> Jul 28 14:07:21 khorlia kernel: [3792447.281650] end_request: I/O error,
> dev sr0, sector 64
>
> I posted this on the fedoraforum and got suggestions of hardware
> problems. Checking, I quickly learned that DVDs and data CDs mounted
> correctly. Alas, they've run out of suggestions. Checking today,
> there's been no change except that there are no longer any appropriate
> messages in the log. (No, rebooting is not an option. I'm not nuking
> 51 days of uptime Just Because somebody says "it can't hurt.") Does
> anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

FWIW, I have never seen or heard of an audio CD being mountable.

It had been a long time since I actually did anything with a CD.... So
I plunked one in and got exactly the same messages. And then I simply
played it with Sound Juicer.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/05/2011 03:44 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> FWIW, I have never seen or heard of an audio CD being mountable.

It used to be that I'd get a desktop icon for an audio CD. Now, I
don't, but it might have to do with XFCE, so I'll ask their fourm.

> It had been a long time since I actually did anything with a CD.... So
> I plunked one in and got exactly the same messages. And then I simply
> played it with Sound Juicer.

I don't have that installed, but after a little experimentation with
Anorak, Audacity and Rhythmbox I found that mplayer would handle my CDs.
Odd. Thanx. Will install Sound Juicer and see what happens.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/06/2011 07:07 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/05/2011 03:44 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> FWIW, I have never seen or heard of an audio CD being mountable.
>>
> It used to be that I'd get a desktop icon for an audio CD. Now, I
> don't, but it might have to do with XFCE, so I'll ask their fourm.

Under KDE one does get a notification from "Device Notifier". It isn't
mountable, which I thought is what you were after, but it does offer to
play it with Amarok.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/05/2011 04:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Under KDE one does get a notification from "Device Notifier". It isn't
> mountable, which I thought is what you were after, but it does offer to
> play it with Amarok.

I've made sure that XFCE is set to put an icon up for audio CDs, but it
doesn't. Checking, I found that I do have Sound Juicer, but the menu
listed it as "Audio CD Extractor." Alas, it won't read the track info
on my audio CD because it's not mounted.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 14:44 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I'm using F14 with XFCE. Until recently, all went well. Last week, I
> tried mounting a new audio CD that I'd bought so that I could listen
> to it. Nothing happened. I tried with another new CD, and an older
> CD that I"d used before, with no change.

For what it's worth, audio CDs cannot be mounted, they don't have a file
system on them. It's just a stream of encoded data with a table of
contents at the start of the disc.

What can happen, though, is that your desktop, or file manager, or other
utility, can recognise that an inserted disc is an audio CD and give you
an interface for accessing the disc as if it were mounted.

So, you're not going to find it "mounted" and you may need to look for a
compact disc digital audio (CDDA) handler plug-in (depending on whether
your software is supposed to work with one, or has the feature built
in).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/06/2011 07:28 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I've made sure that XFCE is set to put an icon up for audio CDs, but it
> doesn't. Checking, I found that I do have Sound Juicer, but the menu
> listed it as "Audio CD Extractor." Alas, it won't read the track info
> on my audio CD because it's not mounted.

Well, as Tim & I have said....you can't mount an Audio CD.

As soon as I start "Sound Juicer" it reads the track names and I can
either Play it or Extract the tracks.

My system is an F15 system with both GNOME and KDE installed. I
normally only use KDE. I don't have XFCE installed at the moment...so I
can't test that for you.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 07:45:37AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 08/06/2011 07:28 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > I've made sure that XFCE is set to put an icon up for audio CDs, but it
> > doesn't. Checking, I found that I do have Sound Juicer, but the menu
> > listed it as "Audio CD Extractor." Alas, it won't read the track info
> > on my audio CD because it's not mounted.
>
> Well, as Tim & I have said....you can't mount an Audio CD.

Sure you can!

(inserts Kirby Krackle's "Super Powered Love" CD in drive)

(gets dialog from Gnome, selects "Open folder")

(shown folder of WAV files)

Granted, it's not visible from the command line as a file system, but
the CD is mounted and accessible.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/08/2011 08:37 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 07:45:37AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 08/06/2011 07:28 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>>> I've made sure that XFCE is set to put an icon up for audio CDs, but it
>>> doesn't. Checking, I found that I do have Sound Juicer, but the menu
>>> listed it as "Audio CD Extractor." Alas, it won't read the track info
>>> on my audio CD because it's not mounted.
>> Well, as Tim & I have said....you can't mount an Audio CD.
> Sure you can!
>
> (inserts Kirby Krackle's "Super Powered Love" CD in drive)
>
> (gets dialog from Gnome, selects "Open folder")
>
> (shown folder of WAV files)
>
> Granted, it's not visible from the command line as a file system, but
> the CD is mounted and accessible.

If you do a "df" and it doesn't show up...it isn't "mounted".

Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 16:28:26 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 08/05/2011 04:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > Under KDE one does get a notification from "Device Notifier". It
> > isn't mountable, which I thought is what you were after, but it
> > does offer to play it with Amarok.
>
> I've made sure that XFCE is set to put an icon up for audio CDs, but
> it doesn't. Checking, I found that I do have Sound Juicer, but the
> menu listed it as "Audio CD Extractor." Alas, it won't read the
> track info on my audio CD because it's not mounted.

Try Parole -- the default xfrce player. It works very well here. Also, take a look at the
"removable drives and media" settings in the xfce settings manager.

Of course if all else fails, perhaps you could take up the harmonica...

-- cmg