Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Default writing system tray plugin using GTK1?

Hi,

I have been wanting to write a simple system tray plugin using GTK1. Is
it possible? Or am I constrained with using the more resource-hungry
GTK2?

The keyword is simple: I am open to giving up some features, but
inability to do anything would of course defeat the purpose.

Many thanks for any help and pointers or even examples you are able to
provide!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> I have been wanting to write a simple system tray plugin using GTK1. Is
> it possible? Or am I constrained with using the more resource-hungry
> GTK2?

I won't get in to whether you can do it or not because:
GTK1 is no longer actively maintained. It is on the chopping block to be
removed from Fedora soon. You also have to worry about security holes
that will go unpatched.

Define "resource-hungry" as that could be used subjectively. GTK2 is no
more "resource-hungry" than any other UI toolkit.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:18:56 -0500 Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com>
wrote:

> Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > I have been wanting to write a simple system tray plugin using GTK1. Is
> > it possible? Or am I constrained with using the more resource-hungry
> > GTK2?
>
> I won't get in to whether you can do it or not because:
> GTK1 is no longer actively maintained. It is on the chopping block to be
> removed from Fedora soon. You also have to worry about security holes
> that will go unpatched.

How about stuff that is written in GTK1? How would we compile these?

> Define "resource-hungry" as that could be used subjectively. GTK2 is no
> more "resource-hungry" than any other UI toolkit.

Perhaps true, but that does not mean that it should be used even when
other (possibly) unneeded leaner options are available. (Which, based
on your e-mail, seems to suggest may not be, for much longer.)

(Btw, I view "resource-hungry" in relative terms. Even the fastest
processors can do better with more efficient and smarter composed
code.)

Many thanks again, and best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> How about stuff that is written in GTK1? How would we compile these?

They would be obsoleted and removed from the distribution.

To find a list of such programs you can run:
$ repoquery --whatrequires gtk+

Please note that the list of GTK1 programs is very small. Briefly
looking at the list looks like it is all dead software.

You're welcome to become a package maintainer and be the package owner
if it becomes orphaned, but what benefit is there in keeping GTK1
around? You have to learn to let old software go.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 17:05:38 -0500 Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com>
wrote:

> Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > How about stuff that is written in GTK1? How would we compile these?
>
> They would be obsoleted and removed from the distribution.
>
> To find a list of such programs you can run:
> $ repoquery --whatrequires gtk+
>
> Please note that the list of GTK1 programs is very small. Briefly
> looking at the list looks like it is all dead software.

No, I understand that. My question was, if I had some software that
used GTK1, which I use, and would not like to spend time writing
for GTK2, would I still be able to compile using GTK2 or GTK3? Is GTK3/2
a superset of GTK1?

Many thanks,
Ranjan

Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Michael Cronenworth

On 08/05/2011 05:25 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> No, I understand that. My question was, if I had some software that
> used GTK1, which I use, and would not like to spend time writing
> for GTK2, would I still be able to compile using GTK2 or GTK3? Is GTK3/2
> a superset of GTK1?

It should be relatively easy for you to port your software to a newer
GTK version. I would recommend going straight to GTK3.

If you directly accessed widget structure data it might be more
difficult for you.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Hi,

No, I understand that. My question was, if I had some software that

used GTK1, which I use, and would not like to spend time writing

for GTK2, would I still be able to compile using GTK2 or GTK3? Is GTK3/2

a superset of GTK1?
No it isn't.
After all, this is the wrong list for questions like this.

*- Clemens

Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Ranjan Maitra

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:27:41 -0500 Clemens Eisserer
<linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No, I understand that. My question was, if I had some software that
> used GTK1, which I use, and would not like to spend time writing
> for GTK2, would I still be able to compile using GTK2 or GTK3? Is GTK3/2
> a superset of GTK1?
> No it isn't.
> After all, this is the wrong list for questions like this.

Only very tangentially is it unrelated. The original question had to do
with GTK-1 in Fedora.

Ranjan