Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Richard Shaw

Default Network printing in Fedora 15

I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15 and noticed that
even after I opened up the firewall for printing that it did not auto
detect my printers like it had in F14. Am I missing something or is
this intentional?

The Gnome 3 printer settings GUI is, uh, interesting. Manually adding
a printer seemed to work.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15 and noticed that
> even after I opened up the firewall for printing that it did not auto
> detect my printers like it had in F14. Am I missing something or is
> this intentional?

Could you give a bit more detail? What printers were you expecting to
be auto-detected... are they hosted on CUPS instances on the network, or
are they actual network printers?

Tim.
*/

Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15 and noticed that
>> even after I opened up the firewall for printing that it did not auto
>> detect my printers like it had in F14. Am I missing something or is
>> this intentional?
>
> Could you give a bit more detail? *What printers were you expecting to
> be auto-detected... are they hosted on CUPS instances on the network, or
> are they actual network printers?

Duh, that probably would help.

It's one physical printer connected to my desktop and shared by CUPS
from there. I've got 3 queues on it, two of which are shared (normal,
and photo for the photo tray). They are on a flat network
(192.168.0.x)

Thanks,
Richard

Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:08 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> It's one physical printer connected to my desktop and shared by CUPS
> from there. I've got 3 queues on it, two of which are shared (normal,
> and photo for the photo tray). They are on a flat network
> (192.168.0.x)

There's no intention behind it not currently working for you. I would
expect altering the firewall to do the trick.

What's in /etc/sysconfig/system-config-firewall? Hopefully there's a
line saying "--service=ipp-client".

Next would be to take a look at the TCP traffic using wireshark, and
check that you are receiving UDP packets on port 631.

After that, ramp up the debugging (with "cupsctl LogLevel=debug2") and
take a look at what gets written to /var/log/cups/error_log when a
packet comes in.

Tim.
*/

Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15

On second thoughts, better not go there ... :-)

poc

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:08 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> It's one physical printer connected to my desktop and shared by CUPS
>> from there. I've got 3 queues on it, two of which are shared (normal,
>> and photo for the photo tray). They are on a flat network
>> (192.168.0.x)
>
> There's no intention behind it not currently working for you. *I would
> expect altering the firewall to do the trick.
>
> What's in /etc/sysconfig/system-config-firewall? *Hopefully there's a
> line saying "--service=ipp-client".

Good catch! I did open s-c-firewall and check and apply printing
client but apparently it didn't update
/etc/sysconfig/system-config-firewall... Strange

Richard

Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Arthur Dent

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 10:43 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15
>
> On second thoughts, better not go there ... :-)

:-) That cheered up my day!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Hugh Caley

Re: Network printing in Fedora 15

Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com>

07:08 AM

Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15 and noticed that
even after I opened up the firewall for printing that it did not auto
detect my printers like it had in F14. Am I missing something or is
this intentional?

Could you give a bit more detail? *What printers were you expecting to
be auto-detected... are they hosted on CUPS instances on the network, or
are they actual network printers?

Duh, that probably would help.

It's one physical printer connected to my desktop and shared by CUPS
from there. I've got 3 queues on it, two of which are shared (normal,
and photo for the photo tray). They are on a flat network
(192.168.0.x)

Thanks,
Richard

FYI, I have a CUPS server running on a RHEL 4.x machine in my office
and those queues are showing up fine in Fedora 15.

Wild guess, but is your default gateway set up properly on your F15
machine?*

Hugh

--

Hugh Caley

Linux System Administrator

Aldon Business Area

Rocket Software

6001 Shellmound St. Ste. 600 Emeryville, CA 94608 USA

Tel:+1.510.285.8542

Email:hcaley@aldon.com

Web:aldon.com

Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 PM
antonio montagnani

Tim Waugh ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 04/08/2011 16:04:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15 and noticed that
>> even after I opened up the firewall for printing that it did not auto
>> detect my printers like it had in F14. Am I missing something or is
>> this intentional?
>
> Could you give a bit more detail? What printers were you expecting to
> be auto-detected... are they hosted on CUPS instances on the network, or
> are they actual network printers?
>
> Tim.
> */

I have exactly the same problem, printer is not auto-detected, and it is
detected only if I insert the remote IP.
I insert the correct driver, but at a certain step when verifying
printer, I get the message that printer is not available!!
Firewall is disabled on all network machines.
What is the starting point to decode the problem (Printer is a HP2350
all in one)?? Same printer with same driver is working fine if directed
connected to computer

Tnx

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com
http://www.studiodacolpaloschi.it

Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 22:06 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Tim Waugh ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 04/08/2011 16:04:
> > On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> >> I recently upgraded (clean install) my wife to F15 and noticed that
> >> even after I opened up the firewall for printing that it did not auto
> >> detect my printers like it had in F14. Am I missing something or is
> >> this intentional?
> >
> > Could you give a bit more detail? What printers were you expecting to
> > be auto-detected... are they hosted on CUPS instances on the network, or
> > are they actual network printers?
> >
> > Tim.
> > */
> >

> I have exactly the same problem, printer is not auto-detected, and it is
> detected only if I insert the remote IP.
> I insert the correct driver, but at a certain step when verifying
> printer, I get the message that printer is not available!!
> Firewall is disabled on all network machines.
> What is the starting point to decode the problem (Printer is a HP2350
> all in one)?? Same printer with same driver is working fine if directed
> connected to computer
>
> Tnx
There are 2 secrets that you need to be aware of with printer browsing.
Only configure the printer on the machine to which it is attached (the
server)
Browsing only works if the printers are on the same LAN