Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Joachim Backes

Default F15: weird files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

Hi,

Besides ifcfg-em1 and ifcfg-lo, I found some weird configuration files
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:

ifcfg-Auto_abc
ifcfg-Auto_linksys 1
ifcfg-Auto_linksys
ifcfg-Auto_mycloud

I don't know who is reponsible for creating these files. But I saw that
they slowed down NetworkManager's speed after boot when logging in for
the first time (it took about 20 secs until the network was completely
up). After having removed these files, I saw a significant improvement
of NetworkManager.

Anybody has an explication?

Kind regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/04/2011 05:36 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Besides ifcfg-em1 and ifcfg-lo, I found some weird configuration files
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
>
> ifcfg-Auto_abc
> ifcfg-Auto_linksys 1
> ifcfg-Auto_linksys
> ifcfg-Auto_mycloud
>
> I don't know who is reponsible for creating these files. But I saw that
> they slowed down NetworkManager's speed after boot when logging in for
> the first time (it took about 20 secs until the network was completely
> up). After having removed these files, I saw a significant improvement
> of NetworkManager.
>
> Anybody has an explication?

They're NetworkManager files and are typically created when it finds
wireless networks.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Joachim Backes

On 08/04/2011 10:19 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 08/04/2011 05:36 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Besides ifcfg-em1 and ifcfg-lo, I found some weird configuration files
>> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
>>
>> ifcfg-Auto_abc
>> ifcfg-Auto_linksys 1
>> ifcfg-Auto_linksys
>> ifcfg-Auto_mycloud
>>
>> I don't know who is reponsible for creating these files. But I saw that
>> they slowed down NetworkManager's speed after boot when logging in for
>> the first time (it took about 20 secs until the network was completely
>> up). After having removed these files, I saw a significant improvement
>> of NetworkManager.
>>
>> Anybody has an explication?
>
> They're NetworkManager files and are typically created when it finds
> wireless networks.

Maybe. But there is no such device attached to my box.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Joachim Backes
<joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> On 08/04/2011 10:19 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 08/04/2011 05:36 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>>>
>>> Besides ifcfg-em1 and ifcfg-lo, I found some weird configuration files
>>> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
>>>
>>> ifcfg-Auto_abc
>>> ifcfg-Auto_linksys 1
>>> ifcfg-Auto_linksys
>>> ifcfg-Auto_mycloud
>>>
>>> I don't know who is reponsible for creating these files. But I saw that
>>> they slowed down NetworkManager's speed after boot when logging in for
>>> the first time (it took about 20 secs until the network was completely
>>> up). After having removed these files, I saw a significant improvement
>>> of NetworkManager.
>>>
>>> Anybody has an explication?
>>
>> They're NetworkManager files and are typically created when it finds
>> wireless networks.
>
> Maybe. But there is no such device attached to my box.

They look like SSIDs rather than devices.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Joachim Backes

On 08/05/2011 09:37 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Joachim Backes
> <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:

>>> They're NetworkManager files and are typically created when it finds
>>> wireless networks.
>>
>> Maybe. But there is no such device attached to my box.
>
> They look like SSIDs rather than devices.

Ooops, I have no WLAN access (connection to the router is available by LAN)!

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Joachim Backes
<joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> On 08/05/2011 09:37 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Joachim Backes
>> <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:

>>> Maybe. But there is no such device attached to my box.
>>
>> They look like SSIDs rather than devices.
>
> Ooops, I have no WLAN access (connection to the router is available by LAN)!

It was a good WAG since linksys and mycloud do suggest SSID names.
Anyway, if this is on a laptop, I don't think that you'd have to have
current WiFi access to have these files.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Joachim Backes

On 08/05/2011 11:33 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Joachim Backes
> <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>> On 08/05/2011 09:37 AM, Tom H wrote:

>>> They look like SSIDs rather than devices.
>>
>> Ooops, I have no WLAN access (connection to the router is available by LAN)!
>
> It was a good WAG since linksys and mycloud do suggest SSID names.
> Anyway, if this is on a laptop, I don't think that you'd have to have
> current WiFi access to have these files.

It's a desktop PC. I'm not owner of a laptop -

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Robert Marcano

On 08/05/2011 07:25 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 08/05/2011 11:33 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Joachim Backes
>> <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:

>>> Ooops, I have no WLAN access (connection to the router is available by LAN)!
>>
>> It was a good WAG since linksys and mycloud do suggest SSID names.
>> Anyway, if this is on a laptop, I don't think that you'd have to have
>> current WiFi access to have these files.
>
> It's a desktop PC. I'm not owner of a laptop -

check the contents, if they contains something like ESSID= they are
created from wireless networks, they could be created too with other
options of Network Manager, like VPN, even Wired Networks if you change
the name of the connection

Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Joachim Backes
<joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> On 08/05/2011 11:33 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Joachim Backes
>> <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:

>>> Ooops, I have no WLAN access (connection to the router is available by LAN)!
>>
>> It was a good WAG since linksys and mycloud do suggest SSID names.
>> Anyway, if this is on a laptop, I don't think that you'd have to have
>> current WiFi access to have these files.
>
> It's a desktop PC. I'm not owner of a laptop -

(Some desktops have WiFi.)

What's the output of "ifconfig -a" and what's the content of these
"if cfg_Auto..." files?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/04/2011 08:36 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Anybody has an explication?

Is there any reason why you can't show the contents of the files?

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow