Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default Configuring Kensington mouse buttons

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:15:02 -0700
>> "Reid Rivenburgh" <reidr@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Section "InputDevice"
>> > Identifier "Mouse0"
>> > Driver "mouse"
>> > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>> > Option "Buttons" "7"
>> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>> > EndSection
>>
>> I've got a different kensington mouse, but I found that
>> I couldn't see all the buttons in xev till I changed
>> the Protocol option to be "Auto", the "IMPS/2" makes
>> it stupider than it otherwise needs to be. Also, once
>> you use "Auto" protocol, saying "Buttons" is apparently a bad
>> idea. It seemingly changes the number of buttons to
>> be some completely random value :-).
>>
>> Once all the buttons work, you can make any of them be
>> any thing by using xmodmap (which is usually automatic
>> if you edit the /etc/X11/Xmodmap file).
>
> Thanks for the pointers, Tom! I wasn't sure how to modify my
> xorg.conf. That mouse entry I pasted is probably from many years ago,
> the last time I had to do something like this.
>
> Which reminds me.... Is there any "proper", GUI way to change these
> kinds of settings? I vaguely recall there being a system-config-mouse
> program once upon a time. Did that go away? Was its functionality
> somehow absorbed into xorg itself? Just curious, I certainly have no
> fear of firing up vi!

system-config-mouse is no more. (At least as of F8.) I had similar
problems porting my FC5 mouse configuration for my Logitech MX1000.
I'm using the "evdev" driver for it instead of mouse, and I have to tell
it I have 12 buttons.

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Logitech MX1000"
> Driver "evdev"
> Option "Protocol" "Auto"
> # Option "Device" "/dev/input/mx1000"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
> Option "Name" "Logitech USB Receiver"
> Option "Buttons" "12"
> Option "HWheelRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
> EndSection

I spent a couple of hours pouring over the "man mouse" and "man evdev"
stuff in order to find the "HWheelRelativeAxisButtons" I need for my
tilt wheel. At least with F8 I have the most buttons actually working
on my mouse than any other release. Also the evdev driver doesn't like
symlinks to the correct device. B^(

I'll be the first to say that the documentation is strewn all over the
place, and, yes, mouse configuration needs a well written GUI
configurator. Xorg has come a long way with its "auto" support, but
there is still more work that needs to be done.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com