Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Andre Robatino

Default Gnome3 and Cursor Movements

Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:

> I have finally got F15 installed after great tribulation with the 'Oh
> No' messages. Now that I have it installed, I find gnome3 difficult to
> use because of the time delay of the highlight bars that allow you to
> select programs. Even when I try to pick "Applications" it takes about
> 6 seconds to highlight. Is this a limit of gnome3 working on a slower
> machine or has anyone else had this problem?

I see a several second delay as well. I avoid it by instead typing a few letters
of the application name until the one I want is highlighted, and hit Enter. If
you know how many letters to type, you can hit Enter immediately without waiting
for the app to be displayed. For example to start Transmission I hit the Windows
key, type "tr" and Enter immediately. (Of course if you have a lot of apps
installed you may need another letter or two.)

Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 21:21 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I have finally got F15 installed after great tribulation with the 'Oh
> No' messages. Now that I have it installed, I find gnome3 difficult to
> use because of the time delay of the highlight bars that allow you to
> select programs. Even when I try to pick "Applications" it takes about
> 6 seconds to highlight. Is this a limit of gnome3 working on a slower
> machine or has anyone else had this problem?
> --
> Greg Ennis
> PoMec Corporation
> www.PoMec.net

I find the same behavior. Does anyone know why this is happening?
It is certainly annoying.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/03/2011 05:56 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I find the same behavior. Does anyone know why this is happening?
> It is certainly annoying.

I don't have F 15 and I no longer use Gnome, but I think I can hazard a
guess. Gnome 3 is probably much more CPU and resource intensive than
Gnome 2 was and your computer is struggling to keep up. The Gnome devs
have decided how much CPU power and RAM it's reasonable to expect users
to have and coded to that specification. If your computer doesn't have
what they consider reasonable, or is near the lower edge, things are
going to slow down. Check at gnome.org and see what they consider
system requirements to be and compare them with what you have.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Steve Underwood

On 08/03/2011 08:56 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 21:21 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> I have finally got F15 installed after great tribulation with the 'Oh
>> No' messages. Now that I have it installed, I find gnome3 difficult to
>> use because of the time delay of the highlight bars that allow you to
>> select programs. Even when I try to pick "Applications" it takes about
>> 6 seconds to highlight. Is this a limit of gnome3 working on a slower
>> machine or has anyone else had this problem?
>> --
>> Greg Ennis
>> PoMec Corporation
>> www.PoMec.net
>>

> I find the same behavior. Does anyone know why this is happening?
> It is certainly annoying.
I found Gnome 3 very responsive when I first installed F15. Someone
along the line it seems like an update started this delaying behaviour.

There are a lot of complaints about the design of Gnome 3, but I find it
pretty hard to judge right now. There are so many things which appear to
be bugs, but could be design issues, that I don't know what to make of
it. E.g. I *assume* the need to hit an exact pixel to be able to grab
the edge of a window and resize it is a bug, and nobody thought that was
a sane design. I'd submit bug reports, but its really hard to write a
clear description of strange visual behaviour, unless its a clear and
simple as that 1 pixel grab zone issue.

Steve

Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Patrick Lists

Hi Steve,

On 08/03/2011 03:17 PM, Steve Underwood wrote:
E.g. I *assume* the need to hit an exact pixel to be able to grab
> the edge of a window and resize it is a bug, and nobody thought that was
> a sane design.

Afaik the 1px "edge grab area" was a deliberate design decision. Guess
the developer who came up with that decision has a 9billion dpi mouse a
pretty steady hand and too much time. Users have been quite vocal about
this and it even made a shortlist with GNOME 3 annoyances. Last I read
they are trying to fix it so with a little luck and patience we should
see it in F16.

Another one of those "fine" decisions is that the Delete key to erm
delete a file in e.g. Nautilus no longer works. Instead you need to use
Ctrl+Del. If you want to change that have a look at the Arch wiki which
is full of excellent information how to slap some sense into GNOME 3:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_3

Regards,
Patrick

Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec <at> PoMec.Net> writes:

> I have finally got F15 installed after great tribulation with the 'Oh
> No' messages. Now that I have it installed, I find gnome3 difficult to
> use because of the time delay of the highlight bars that allow you to
> select programs. Even when I try to pick "Applications" it takes about
> 6 seconds to highlight. Is this a limit of gnome3 working on a slower
> machine or has anyone else had this problem?

I see a several second delay as well. I avoid it by instead typing a few letters
of the application name until the one I want is highlighted, and hit Enter. If
you know how many letters to type, you can hit Enter immediately without waiting
for the app to be displayed. For example to start Transmission I hit the Windows
key, type "tr" and Enter immediately. (Of course if you have a lot of apps
installed you may need another letter or two.)

Everyone,

Thanks for your responses. The machine I am using is a 386, but it
really has plenty of speed with 2 gigs of memory. It should have done
well. As much as I like what has been done with the appearance of
gnome3, I don't think it is ready for the users I support. I am
probably going to stick with F14 and wait on F16 before I do any more
installs unless someone has some magic I can use. I'll wait a bit
before I make a judgment, but so far it is unusable for anyone in a
hurry.

Greg