Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 AM
"Reid Rivenburgh"

Default Configuring Kensington mouse buttons

Hi. I just picked up a Kensington optical mouse, the Ci20. Nothing
too special, but it has a couple of side mouse buttons that I'd like
to modify. There are two on the left (thumb) side. At the moment,
xev reports that they are buttons 2 and 3, which are the same as
pressing the wheel down (sort of the middle button) and the right
button. What I'd like to do is reverse the side buttons, so that
what's currently 3 becomes 2. (I would use 2 more, and apparently my
thumb is shorter than most users.) Of course, I don't want to change
the other 2 and 3 buttons; the wheel should stay as 2 and the right
button as 3. Is there any way to do this?

I'm running an updated F8. Here's a section from my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

I added the Buttons 7 line, though it looks like xorg was finding 11 for itself:

(**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Buttons" "7"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
(**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 11
(**) Mouse0: Sensitivity: 1

It's been a long time since I've fiddled with this stuff and xmodmap
and all. Any pointers would be appreciated!

reid

Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:15:02 -0700
"Reid Rivenburgh" <reidr@pobox.com> wrote:

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "Buttons" "7"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection

I've got a different kensington mouse, but I found that
I couldn't see all the buttons in xev till I changed
the Protocol option to be "Auto", the "IMPS/2" makes
it stupider than it otherwise needs to be. Also, once
you use "Auto" protocol, saying "Buttons" is apparently a bad
idea. It seemingly changes the number of buttons to
be some completely random value :-).

Once all the buttons work, you can make any of them be
any thing by using xmodmap (which is usually automatic
if you edit the /etc/X11/Xmodmap file).

Here's the relevant bits from my setup:

>From /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "DragLockButtons" "2 1"
EndSection

>From /etc/X11/Xmodmap:

! Setup buttons for trackball
pointer = 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 9

Old 02-15-2008, 01:52 AM
"Reid Rivenburgh"

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:15:02 -0700
> "Reid Rivenburgh" <reidr@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Mouse0"
> > Driver "mouse"
> > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > Option "Buttons" "7"
> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> > EndSection
>
> I've got a different kensington mouse, but I found that
> I couldn't see all the buttons in xev till I changed
> the Protocol option to be "Auto", the "IMPS/2" makes
> it stupider than it otherwise needs to be. Also, once
> you use "Auto" protocol, saying "Buttons" is apparently a bad
> idea. It seemingly changes the number of buttons to
> be some completely random value :-).
>
> Once all the buttons work, you can make any of them be
> any thing by using xmodmap (which is usually automatic
> if you edit the /etc/X11/Xmodmap file).

Thanks for the pointers, Tom! I wasn't sure how to modify my
xorg.conf. That mouse entry I pasted is probably from many years ago,
the last time I had to do something like this.

Which reminds me.... Is there any "proper", GUI way to change these
kinds of settings? I vaguely recall there being a system-config-mouse
program once upon a time. Did that go away? Was its functionality
somehow absorbed into xorg itself? Just curious, I certainly have no
fear of firing up vi!

Thanks again,
reid