Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Power Outage, USB drive not mounting

OK. I had this problem back in December and thought I had it all worked
out.

So today I had my first power outage that exceeded my UPS and now I
can't get the external USB drive mounted.

Here is the info:

Server is FC12
USB drive is EXT4 and labeled 2GHJTCB4

It mounts just fine on my notebook running FC14.

I disconnected the drive and rebooted the FC12 server. I VNCed in as a
user to get the Gnome magic mounting running. I powered up the drive,
then plugged it in.

Nothing. It is not showing in either /media or via Palimpsest Disk Utility

I've GOT to get this thing mounted before my wife needs her files on the
drive....

help please (pathetic cry of husband waiting for wife to find out what
else is not right after the neighborhood-wide outage)....

Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:42:12 -0400
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Server is FC12
> USB drive is EXT4 and labeled 2GHJTCB4

What does /var/log/messages say when you plug it in?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Kam Leo

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:42:12 -0400
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Server is FC12
>> USB drive is EXT4 and labeled 2GHJTCB4
>
> What does /var/log/messages say when you plug it in?

Another question: Have you verified that the USB port is still
functional? Have you tried a different device such as a flash drive
in that port?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Robert Moskowitz

> OK. I had this problem back in December and thought I had it all worked
> out.

A cold boot with the drive disconnected did the trick. Now why that was
needed...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM
John Aldrich

On Mon August 1 2011, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 02:42 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > OK. I had this problem back in December and thought I had it all
> > worked out.
>
> A cold boot with the drive disconnected did the trick. Now why that was
> needed...

Just because it could be ornery. ;D