Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Paul Smith

Default Vmware Workstation won't compile

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Lawrence E Graves
<lgraves@risingstarmbc.com> wrote:
> I updated to the new kernel 40-4 and now my vmware workstation will not
> compile. I believe there is a missing program. Please check.

Consider instead to use VirtualBox:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

There is a repo for Fedora, so you can install it with yum. It works great!

Paulo

Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 01.08.2011 13:39, schrieb Paul Smith:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Lawrence E Graves
> <lgraves@risingstarmbc.com> wrote:
>> I updated to the new kernel 40-4 and now my vmware workstation will not
>> compile. I believe there is a missing program. Please check.
>
> Consider instead to use VirtualBox:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> There is a repo for Fedora, so you can install it with yum. It works great!

you can never compare vbox and VMware, really you can not!
VMware-Images can be used/converted everywehre up to ESXi/vCenter

http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-updated/
http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/vmware2.6.39patchv3.tar.bz2

Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 AM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 13:42 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 01.08.2011 13:39, schrieb Paul Smith:
> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Lawrence E Graves
> > <lgraves@risingstarmbc.com> wrote:
> >> I updated to the new kernel 40-4 and now my vmware workstation will not
> >> compile. I believe there is a missing program. Please check.
> >
> > Consider instead to use VirtualBox:
> >
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/
> >
> > There is a repo for Fedora, so you can install it with yum. It works great!
>
> you can never compare vbox and VMware, really you can not!
> VMware-Images can be used/converted everywehre up to ESXi/vCenter
>
> http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-updated/
> http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/vmware2.6.39patchv3.tar.bz2

I installed 2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64 and tried to build VMware. I ran into
this error almost at once:

CC [M] /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:783:59: error:
‘SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)

It's caused by the following being removed from the file
source/include/linux/spinlock_types.h:

/*
* SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED defeats lockdep state tracking and is hence
* deprecated.
* Please use DEFINE_SPINLOCK() or __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED() as
* appropriate.
*/
#define SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED(old_style_spin_init)

Looks like a patch to the VMware source code should fix this issue. I
can experiment with this if I can find the time. There may be more
"issues," however.

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 02.08.2011 12:42, schrieb Mark C. Allman:
> On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 13:42 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 01.08.2011 13:39, schrieb Paul Smith:
>>>
>>> Consider instead to use VirtualBox:
>>>
>>> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>>>
>>> There is a repo for Fedora, so you can install it with yum. It works great!
>>
>> you can never compare vbox and VMware, really you can not!
>> VMware-Images can be used/converted everywehre up to ESXi/vCenter
>>
>> http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-updated/
>> http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/vmware2.6.39patchv3.tar.bz2
>>

> I installed 2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64 and tried to build VMware. I ran into
> this error almost at once:
>
> CC [M] /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
> /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:783:59: error:
> ‘SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)
>

> It's caused by the following being removed from the file
> source/include/linux/spinlock_types.h:
>
> /*
> * SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED defeats lockdep state tracking and is hence
> * deprecated.
> * Please use DEFINE_SPINLOCK() or __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED() as
> * appropriate.
> */
> #define SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED(old_style_spin_init)
>
> Looks like a patch to the VMware source code should fix this issue. I
> can experiment with this if I can find the time. There may be more
> "issues," however.

you qouted the URLs for a working patch from my post!

i have run VMware Workstation on 2.6.40 since sunday with
2 headless running server virtual machines which both do
hughe backup-jobs via cron and all is running fine

Host: Fedora 15 x86_64: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
Guests: F14 x86_64 and F15 x86_64 both with two networks (nat + bridge)

On my workstation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
it does the job also as well with WinXP as long in grub.conf
"nmi_watchdog=0" is added to the kernel-params, but this
has nothing to do with 2.6.40 is is since upgrade to F15

Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Reindl Harald

Old 08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
"Christopher A. Williams"

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 06:42 -0400, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 13:42 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >
> > Am 01.08.2011 13:39, schrieb Paul Smith:
> > >
> > > Consider instead to use VirtualBox:
> > >
> > > http://www.virtualbox.org/
> > >
> > > There is a repo for Fedora, so you can install it with yum. It works great!
> >
> > you can never compare vbox and VMware, really you can not!
> > VMware-Images can be used/converted everywehre up to ESXi/vCenter
> >
> > http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-updated/
> > http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/vmware2.6.39patchv3.tar.bz2
> >

> I installed 2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64 and tried to build VMware. I ran into
> this error almost at once:
>
> CC [M] /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
> /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:783:59: error:
> ‘SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)
>

> It's caused by the following being removed from the file
> source/include/linux/spinlock_types.h:
>
> /*
> * SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED defeats lockdep state tracking and is hence
> * deprecated.
> * Please use DEFINE_SPINLOCK() or __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED() as
> * appropriate.
> */
> #define SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED(old_style_spin_init)
>
> Looks like a patch to the VMware source code should fix this issue. I
> can experiment with this if I can find the time. There may be more
> "issues," however.

Nice find! I would suggest that we send this information to VMware
Support. Since Fedora is now considered a supported Linux distribution
for VMware Workstation (and vSphere as well), this should definitely be
of interest to them.

I can check with my VMware contacts to see where this should go to get
the quickest visibility and response.

Cheers,

Chris Williams
(VCAP4-DCD, VCAP4-DCA)

--

======================
"Only two things are infinite,

-- Albert Einstein

Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
"Christopher A. Williams"

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 13:08 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-updated/
> >> http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/vmware2.6.39patchv3.tar.bz2
> >>

> you qouted the URLs for a working patch from my post!
>
> i have run VMware Workstation on 2.6.40 since sunday with
> 2 headless running server virtual machines which both do
> hughe backup-jobs via cron and all is running fine
>
> Host: Fedora 15 x86_64: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
> Guests: F14 x86_64 and F15 x86_64 both with two networks (nat + bridge)
>
> On my workstation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
> it does the job also as well with WinXP as long in grub.conf
> "nmi_watchdog=0" is added to the kernel-params, but this
> has nothing to do with 2.6.40 is is since upgrade to F15

Followed the URLs and grabbed v3 of the patch file and installation
script. Ran the script as root. Worked like a champ. Thanks for the
pointer just in time for me to do my kernel update!

Chris

--

======================

Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Lawrence Graves

I am not able to launch Vmware Workstation 8.0.2 with the new kernel
3.2.1-3. Is there a patch?

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Brian Millett

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/335855
--
Brian Millett
"Why Babylon 5? If the prior four stations were lost or destroyed, why