Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 AM
"Rajender.M"

Default Rdesktop - Machine hanging problem

Hello All,

I installed Fedora core15 in our host machine which contains the rdesktop version1.6.0
When i try to connect to the remote machine using rdesktop the machine hangs and we need to do a hard reboot every time. We tried to install the same version in another machine and same thing happened in that machine too.
Since rdesktop is a normal user space application; such "cannot" hang the machine. So most likely the problem is with the Fedora15 os as with the Xorg server or may be any other reason.
I dint find any body reporting the same problem in the web and i need to resolve this issue. So please can any one help me in this regard.

Regards,
Rajender

Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
夜神 岩男

On 08/01/2011 08:02 PM, Rajender.M wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I installed Fedora core15 in our host machine which contains the rdesktop version1.6.0
> When i try to connect to the remote machine using rdesktop the machine hangs and we need to do a hard reboot every time. We tried to install the same version in another machine and same thing happened in that machine too.
> Since rdesktop is a normal user space application; such "cannot" hang the machine. So most likely the problem is with the Fedora15 os as with the Xorg server or may be any other reason.
> I dint find any body reporting the same problem in the web and i need to resolve this issue. So please can any one help me in this regard.

Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
the same results.

Lately when things hang the desktop manager can be capturing all input
from the single seat available, so while the underlying system isn't
actually "frozen" in the Windows sense of being really locked up, access
to the system from the single-user desktop interface is not effective.

This can be tested by logging into the same machine over SSH when you
run your test. If the SSH connection is still responsive then the system
didn't hang, the DM did. If the remote shell also becomes frozen, then
you have found a deeper problem.

-Iwao

Old 08-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 08/01/2011 06:44 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 08:02 PM, Rajender.M wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I installed Fedora core15 in our host machine which contains the rdesktop version1.6.0
>> When i try to connect to the remote machine using rdesktop the machine hangs and we need to do a hard reboot every time. We tried to install the same version in another machine and same thing happened in that machine too.
>> Since rdesktop is a normal user space application; such "cannot" hang the machine. So most likely the problem is with the Fedora15 os as with the Xorg server or may be any other reason.
>> I dint find any body reporting the same problem in the web and i need to resolve this issue. So please can any one help me in this regard.
>
> Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
> which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
> the same results.

I run Gonme3 and rdesktop and have had problems. In my
case they are intermittent -- most of the time rdesktop
connects and works fine. But on several occasions in period
of a couple months, the gnome3 desktop has locked up or
gone into a weird state where I could change window focus
with the mouse, but windows would not respond to any mouse
or keyboard input.

In one case all keyboard input was dead, in another I was
able to cntl-alt-F4 to a command line console to kill Gnome-
session. In yet another I was able to log into the Windows
machine directly, taking the session back from rdesktop,
which caused Gnome3 to come back to life.

I agree there seems to be a problem with rdesktop and Gnome3
but because of its intermittent nature here, I have not been
able to develop enough info for a useful bug report.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:58 AM
"Rajender.M"

> On 08/01/2011 06:44 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
>
>> On 08/01/2011 08:02 PM, Rajender.M wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I installed Fedora core15 in our host machine which contains the rdesktop version1.6.0
>>> When i try to connect to the remote machine using rdesktop the machine hangs and we need to do a hard reboot every time. We tried to install the same version in another machine and same thing happened in that machine too.
>>> Since rdesktop is a normal user space application; such "cannot" hang the machine. So most likely the problem is with the Fedora15 os as with the Xorg server or may be any other reason.
>>> I dint find any body reporting the same problem in the web and i need to resolve this issue. So please can any one help me in this regard.
>>>
>> Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
>> which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
>> the same results.
>>
> I run Gonme3 and rdesktop and have had problems. In my
> case they are intermittent -- most of the time rdesktop
> connects and works fine. But on several occasions in period
> of a couple months, the gnome3 desktop has locked up or
> gone into a weird state where I could change window focus
> with the mouse, but windows would not respond to any mouse
> or keyboard input.
>
> In one case all keyboard input was dead, in another I was
> able to cntl-alt-F4 to a command line console to kill Gnome-
> session. In yet another I was able to log into the Windows
> machine directly, taking the session back from rdesktop,
> which caused Gnome3 to come back to life.
>
> I agree there seems to be a problem with rdesktop and Gnome3
> but because of its intermittent nature here, I have not been
> able to develop enough info for a useful bug report.

This is nothing to do with gnome3/window manager. We did test with plain
X and got the same system freeze. This is something to do with the low
level xlib calls (Xorg or video driver/kernel ). We also tested running
rdesktop from a different machine setting the DISPLAY to the machine in
problem, we faced the same issue. So this confirms the problem is with
the X.

Raj

Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
夜神 岩男

On 08/02/2011 01:58 PM, Rajender.M wrote:

>>> Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
>>> which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
>>> the same results.
>>>
>> I run Gonme3 and rdesktop and have had problems. In my
>> case they are intermittent -- most of the time rdesktop
>> connects and works fine. But on several occasions in period
>> of a couple months, the gnome3 desktop has locked up or
>> gone into a weird state where I could change window focus
>> with the mouse, but windows would not respond to any mouse
>> or keyboard input.
>>
>> In one case all keyboard input was dead, in another I was
>> able to cntl-alt-F4 to a command line console to kill Gnome-
>> session. In yet another I was able to log into the Windows
>> machine directly, taking the session back from rdesktop,
>> which caused Gnome3 to come back to life.
>>
>> I agree there seems to be a problem with rdesktop and Gnome3
>> but because of its intermittent nature here, I have not been
>> able to develop enough info for a useful bug report.
>>
> This is nothing to do with gnome3/window manager. We did test with plain
> X and got the same system freeze. This is something to do with the low
> level xlib calls (Xorg or video driver/kernel ). We also tested running
> rdesktop from a different machine setting the DISPLAY to the machine in
> problem, we faced the same issue. So this confirms the problem is with
> the X.
>
> Raj

Have you tried to see if a remote shell is still responsive or if you
can still ping the machine? Knowing if the kernel is really locking up
or if X or networking or socket handling is seizing is pretty important
if you want this fixed.

-Iwao

Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Robert Marcano

On 08/02/2011 12:28 AM, Rajender.M wrote:

>>> Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
>>> which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
>>> the same results.
>>>
>> I run Gonme3 and rdesktop and have had problems. In my
>> case they are intermittent -- most of the time rdesktop
>> connects and works fine. But on several occasions in period
>> of a couple months, the gnome3 desktop has locked up or
>> gone into a weird state where I could change window focus
>> with the mouse, but windows would not respond to any mouse
>> or keyboard input.
>>
>> In one case all keyboard input was dead, in another I was
>> able to cntl-alt-F4 to a command line console to kill Gnome-
>> session. In yet another I was able to log into the Windows
>> machine directly, taking the session back from rdesktop,
>> which caused Gnome3 to come back to life.
>>
>> I agree there seems to be a problem with rdesktop and Gnome3
>> but because of its intermittent nature here, I have not been
>> able to develop enough info for a useful bug report.
>>
> This is nothing to do with gnome3/window manager. We did test with plain
> X and got the same system freeze. This is something to do with the low
> level xlib calls (Xorg or video driver/kernel ). We also tested running
> rdesktop from a different machine setting the DISPLAY to the machine in
> problem, we faced the same issue. So this confirms the problem is with
> the X.
>
> Raj

I can confirm this behavior without rdesktop, yesterday I was running a
remote application (ssh X11 forwarding) over an extremely slow link, and
the local desktop was a lot unresponsive, switching local running
windows is extremely slow, only when the remote link was able to cope
with the data being forwarded is that everything starts to run with
decent speeds locally