Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Frantisek Hanzlik

Default which process display a given window?

A few moments ago on my F15 desktop appeared window with title
"Authentication" and two user-fillable fields within, "Name" and
"Password". Nothing else.
At this moment I not expect from none of cca 15-20 running apps this
question window, nor from several running applets (thus, probably
some crackers want access to my credit cards

How generally I can state which process display it?
I would expect, when right-clicking on window top title bar, some
item as e.g. "window properties" - where would be possible find info
about process displaying this window. But there isn't nothing of the
kind. Thus, is there other way discovering this?

I forgot mention, I'm now in F15 using XFCE (but IMO in Gnome window
manager has not capability too).

Thanks, Franta Hanzlik

Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 12:39 +0200, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> A few moments ago on my F15 desktop appeared window with title
> "Authentication" and two user-fillable fields within, "Name" and
> "Password". Nothing else.
> At this moment I not expect from none of cca 15-20 running apps this
> question window, nor from several running applets (thus, probably
> some crackers want access to my credit cards
>
> How generally I can state which process display it?
> I would expect, when right-clicking on window top title bar, some
> item as e.g. "window properties" - where would be possible find info
> about process displaying this window. But there isn't nothing of the
> kind. Thus, is there other way discovering this?

Try the "top" command, and re-arrange the display order to show the most
recent processes at the top. The dialog box may be near the top of the
list, and you can use that to work out where it came from.

But I'd be tempted to cancel the request, and see if it comes back
again, or if something else happens.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 12:39 +0200, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> How generally I can state which process display it?
> I would expect, when right-clicking on window top title bar, some
> item as e.g. "window properties" - where would be possible find info
> about process displaying this window. But there isn't nothing of the
> kind. Thus, is there other way discovering this?

The process displaying the window is actually the X server, acting on
behalf of some client which may not even be local to your machine, but
you might be able to get some clues using xprop and xwininfo.

poc

Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 08/01/2011 11:39 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> How generally I can state which process display it?
> I would expect, when right-clicking on window top title bar, some
> item as e.g. "window properties" - where would be possible find info
> about process displaying this window. But there isn't nothing of the
> kind. Thus, is there other way discovering this?
>
> I forgot mention, I'm now in F15 using XFCE (but IMO in Gnome window
> manager has not capability too).

In f15 the gnome and xfce window managers both seem to set a window manager hint
that includes the process ID so you can probably get this by running xwininfo
and clicking the suspect window:

$ xwininfo -wm

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
would like information by clicking the
mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x2200005 "bmr@bmr:~"

Window manager hints:
Client accepts input or input focus: Yes
Initial state is Normal State
Displayed on desktop 0
Window type:
Normal
Process id: 2157 on host bmr.fab.redhat.com
Frame extents: 1, 1, 28, 2

$ pga 2157
2157 ? Sl 0:05 gnome-terminal
24640 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto 2157

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Frantisek Hanzlik

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 11:39 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> How generally I can state which process display it?
>> I would expect, when right-clicking on window top title bar, some
>> item as e.g. "window properties" - where would be possible find info
>> about process displaying this window. But there isn't nothing of the
>> kind. Thus, is there other way discovering this?
>>
>> I forgot mention, I'm now in F15 using XFCE (but IMO in Gnome window
>> manager has not capability too).
>
> In f15 the gnome and xfce window managers both seem to set a window manager hint
> that includes the process ID so you can probably get this by running xwininfo
> and clicking the suspect window:
>
> $ xwininfo -wm
>
> xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
> would like information by clicking the
> mouse in that window.
>
> xwininfo: Window id: 0x2200005 "bmr@bmr:~"
>
> Window manager hints:
> Client accepts input or input focus: Yes
> Initial state is Normal State
> Displayed on desktop 0
> Window type:
> Normal
> Process id: 2157 on host bmr.fab.redhat.com
> Frame extents: 1, 1, 28, 2
>
> $ pga 2157
> 2157 ? Sl 0:05 gnome-terminal
> 24640 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto 2157
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

Tim, Patrick, Bryn - thanks for valuable tips. xwininfo and xprop
are both capable return PID and hostname of window controlling process,
which is all I need.

Btw, my cryptic process was LXDA Policykit Authentication Agent
(/usr/libexec/lxpolkit). I not know why it is launched from XFCE session,
maybe some relict from my previous experiments when I was searching some
replacement for Gnome 2.x.
Fortunately, this applet is well described in XFCE Preferences menu
(in contrast with crippled ones as "load color profiles", "unlock
certificates" and other weird named applets, for which is problem
locate destination file), thus wasn't problem disable it.

Franta H