Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
James McKenzie

Default What are the 94 printable characters from the 128 characters of ASCII table?

On 7/24/11 10:41 PM, Gregory Woodbury wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM, yudi v <yudi.tux@gmail.com
> <mailto:yudi.tux@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> No it's not my homework, just curious.
> I looked at that link before posting.
> what confused me was the DEL key code. Usually the first 32
> characters are control characters but the wiki article clubs DEL
> with the control characters where as it's assigned the last code
> in the table. That's after the printable characters.
> That's why I posted here to get a confirmation.
>

> It's history. The DEL code was all holes punched in paper tape
> (8-level) that was used to RUBOUT a character in error.
> Teletype and papertape systems were programmed to ignore the 0xFF
> code. When ASCII was formalized, the code for DEL
> was firmly in use as a control character and papertape was still in
> use. The various other "control" codes were used for various
> esoteric paper tape storage methodologies and later for 8-bit wide
> magnetic tape systems.

And it was carried over to 8 bit tape as well as BAUDOT (sp) code tape.
Great thing too. It was also used on punch cards.

Yep, I was around in those days and did a lot with paper tape and an
HP-3000 BASIC computer.

And one of the ways to create that code today is to use the SHIFT +
BACKSPACE combination in PuTTY, at least the way I configure it.

James