Old 07-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Network scripts question -

I have two F-15 computers. Box6 has the following files while box9
has only /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo, both are using
NetworkManager.

[bobg@box6 ~]$ ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*

-rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 254 Apr 27 13:17
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
-rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1

I can ssh from box6 to box9 but not from box9 to box6. Either one
will ping the other, stopping the fire wall does not have any effect.

Any suggestions, what to look for?

Bob
.--

Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 15:36 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have two F-15 computers. Box6 has the following files while box9
> has only /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo, both are using
> NetworkManager.
>
> [bobg@box6 ~]$ ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
>
> -rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 254 Apr 27 13:17
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
> -rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
>
> I can ssh from box6 to box9 but not from box9 to box6. Either one
> will ping the other, stopping the fire wall does not have any effect.
>
> Any suggestions, what to look for?
>
> Bob
> .--

The ifcfg-lo is for local self-conection so it is understandable that
box9 can't reach box6.

You will have to create ifcfg-eth1 if you have a wired connection.
Mine looks something like this:
DEVICE="eth1"
HWADDR="00:14:22:2A:3B:FE"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
ONBOOT="yes"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"

system-config-network might aid you in this file creation.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 31/07/11 17:25, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 15:36 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I have two F-15 computers. Box6 has the following files while box9
>> has only /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo, both are using
>> NetworkManager.
>>
>> [bobg@box6 ~]$ ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
>>
>> -rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 254 Apr 27 13:17
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
>> -rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
>>
>> I can ssh from box6 to box9 but not from box9 to box6. Either one
>> will ping the other, stopping the fire wall does not have any effect.
>>
>> Any suggestions, what to look for?
>>
>> Bob
>> .--
>>
> The ifcfg-lo is for local self-conection so it is understandable that
> box9 can't reach box6.
>
> You will have to create ifcfg-eth1 if you have a wired connection.
> Mine looks something like this:
> DEVICE="eth1"
> HWADDR="00:14:22:2A:3B:FE"
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
>
> system-config-network might aid you in this file creation.

I thought adding it might be the solution but I don't recall
adding it to this F-15 computer?

And system-config-network wont let me do anything but enter DNS
information?
I'll add the missing file and see what the result is.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 15:36 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>> I have two F-15 computers. Box6 has the following files while box9
>> has only /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo, both are using
>> NetworkManager.
>>
>> * * * * [bobg@box6 ~]$ ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
>>
>> * * * * -rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
>> * * * * /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>> * * * * -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 254 Apr 27 13:17
>> * * * * /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
>> * * * * -rw-r--r--. 3 root root 577 Jun 22 18:16
>> * * * * /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
>>
>> * * I can ssh from box6 to box9 but not from box9 to box6. Either one
>> * * will ping the other, stopping the fire wall does not have any effect.
>
> The ifcfg-lo is for local self-conection so it is understandable that
> box9 can't reach box6.
>
> You will have to create ifcfg-eth1 *if you have a wired connection.
> Mine looks something like this:
> DEVICE="eth1"
> HWADDR="00:14:22:2A:3B:FE"
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"

I have one VM on my laptop and two dev boxes - all serving out sshd,
nfsd, and smbd - on which NM's running with only an ifcfg-lo file.

Furthermore, since the boxes can ping each other and there's one-way
ssh access, the presence/absence of an ifcfg-* file isn't issue.

I'd focus on troubleshooting sshd on box6.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 31/07/11 20:29, Tom H wrote:
> I have one VM on my laptop and two dev boxes - all serving out sshd,
> nfsd, and smbd - on which NM's running with only an ifcfg-lo file.
>
> Furthermore, since the boxes can ping each other and there's one-way
> ssh access, the presence/absence of an ifcfg-* file isn't issue.
>
> I'd focus on troubleshooting sshd on box6.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot ssh. The path between the two
computers is wired, through a Netgear gigabit switch which also
connects the NFS server, a printer, and the wireless access device.
The ethernet stuff all seems to work. I've been considering
switching ports around to get box 6 on a different port ... If it's
the switch I will have to get another one since I need all the
ports. Box6 has a gigabit NIC, I could try the slower port on the
motherboard. But that's assuming a hardware problem which seems
improbable, though possible.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Bob

Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Timothy Murphy

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot ssh.

ssh -v ...
might give you some information.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Adalbert Prokop

Am 31.07.2011 21:36, schrieb Bob Goodwin:

Hi Bob!

> I can ssh from box6 to box9 but not from box9 to box6. Either one
> will ping the other, stopping the fire wall does not have any effect.

- Is ssh on box6 running? (# service sshd status)
- On which port? (look in /etc/ssh/sshd_config)
- To which hostort are you connecting using ssh from box9 to box6?
(box9# ssh -v box6)
- Does the ssh daemon receive the connection on box6? (monitor logs
in (/var/log/messages)
- Does the firewall on box6 allow SSH connections?
(iptables -L -n -v INPUT)
- Who resolves box6 into an IP number, i.e. who is the DNS server? Does
the connection work if you use IPs instead of names directly?

--
best wishes
Adalbert

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 07/08/11 02:09, Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> Am 31.07.2011 21:36, schrieb Bob Goodwin:
>
> Hi Bob!
>
>> I can ssh from box6 to box9 but not from box9 to box6. Either one
>> will ping the other, stopping the fire wall does not have any effect.
> - Is ssh on box6 running? (# service sshd status)
> - On which port? (look in /etc/ssh/sshd_config)
> - To which hostort are you connecting using ssh from box9 to box6?
> (box9# ssh -v box6)
> - Does the ssh daemon receive the connection on box6? (monitor logs
> in (/var/log/messages)
> - Does the firewall on box6 allow SSH connections?
> (iptables -L -n -v INPUT)
> - Who resolves box6 into an IP number, i.e. who is the DNS server? Does
> the connection work if you use IPs instead of names directly?

Adalbert:

I just began checking as you suggest only to find that ssh is
working normally this morning! It did not work when I needed it
and as a result I lost all my Thunderbird mail files attempting
to work around the problem. Result much inconvenience and extra
work! However here we are a week later and it's working as it
should? I even tried different ethernet cables, different ports
on the ethernet switch, everything I could think of to no avail ...

Thank you for delineating a test procedure. I have copied it
into my Linux notes and will do as you suggest if/when the
problem reoccurs.

Thank you.

Bob