Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default More RAM not recognized -

This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.

This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:

[bobg@box6 ~]$ free -m
total used free shared
buffers cached
Mem: 3022 719 2303 0
31 265
-/+ buffers/cache: 422 2600
Swap: 4575 0 4575

This is an up to date F-15 32 bit configured as I want it.

[bobg@box6 ~]$ uname -a
Linux box6 2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Wed Jul 6 14:46:26 UTC 2011
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Must I install the 64 bit version to take advantage of the memory?
If so perhaps I could upgrade the present install to 64 and keep my
configuration or do I have to bite the bullet and do a new install.

Bob

Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:38:15 -0400, BG (Bob) wrote:

> This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
> 2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.
>
> This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
> 6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
> using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:

Install the kernel-PAE package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
the normal kernel package.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Rares Aioanei

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:38:15 -0400, BG (Bob) wrote:
>
>> This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
>> 2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.
>>
>> This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
>> 6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
>> using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:
> Install the kernel-PAE package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
> the normal kernel package.
Wasn't PAE default on i686?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda

I recommend to you that you install the 64 bits version to can able to use all available RAM memory in your system.
Regards

[...]

* *--

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
*Software Engineer (UCI)
*Linux User # 418229
*http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Marcosluis

Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Alan Cox

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:06:58 +0200
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:38:15 -0400, BG (Bob) wrote:
>

> > This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
> > 2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.
> >
> > This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
> > 6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
> > using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:
>
> Install the kernel-PAE package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
> the normal kernel package.

I suspect a more fundamental problem. At least according to the Dell
material the Dimension 4700 can only actually make fully use of 4GB
(and in fact I imagine 3GB or 3.5GB in reality). It also needs a specific
BIOS version to use 2Gb sticks, which presumably as it's detecting them
and booting OK the BIOS is new enough.

Alan

Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Alan Cox

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:59:06 -0430
Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <marcosluis2186@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I recommend to you that you install the 64 bits version to can able to use
> all available RAM memory in your system.

A Dell DM 4700 isn't going to have a 64bit capable CPU in most
configurations....

Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM
James McKenzie

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:06:58 +0200
> Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:38:15 -0400, BG (Bob) wrote:
>>

>> > * * This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
>> > * * 2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.
>> >
>> > * * This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
>> > * * 6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
>> > * * using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:
>>
>> Install the *kernel-PAE *package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
>> the normal *kernel *package.
>
> I suspect a more fundamental problem. At least according to the Dell
> material the Dimension 4700 can only actually make fully use of 4GB
> (and in fact I imagine 3GB or 3.5GB in reality). It also needs a specific
> BIOS version to use 2Gb sticks, which presumably as it's detecting them
> and booting OK the BIOS is new enough.

If the CPU is not fully 64 bit, then it will only use (not see) 4GB of
memory. After completing overhead actions this leaves something in
the range of 3.5 GB for the Operating System and other
applications....

Adding more memory than this limit will not result in better
performance and may actually make matters worse.

James

Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 29/07/11 11:06, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:38:15 -0400, BG (Bob) wrote:
>
>> This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
>> 2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.
>>
>> This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
>> 6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
>> using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:
> Install the kernel-PAE package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
> the normal kernel package.

That's done but "free" shows essentially the same amount of memory?

$ free
total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 3095008

I have not yet removed the original non-PAE kernels but I am booting
to the new PAE kernel. It looks like something else is going on.
Might be something in the bios configuration that needs changing or
maybe this computer can't handle more than 4 gb?

I did have, F-13 64 bit installed on it once but decided to stick
with 32 after that for simplicity, I wanted two set up the same and
the other box was 32 bit. That has been replaced so 64 is possible
if I must.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Andrew Haley

On 07/29/2011 04:54 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 29/07/11 11:06, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:38:15 -0400, BG (Bob) wrote:
>>
>>> This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
>>> 2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.
>>>
>>> This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
>>> 6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
>>> using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:
>> Install the kernel-PAE package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
>> the normal kernel package.
>
> That's done but "free" shows essentially the same amount of memory?
>
> $ free
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 3095008
>
> I have not yet removed the original non-PAE kernels but I am booting
> to the new PAE kernel. It looks like something else is going on.
> Might be something in the bios configuration that needs changing or
> maybe this computer can't handle more than 4 gb?

How much RAM does the BIOS say you have?

> I did have, F-13 64 bit installed on it once but decided to stick
> with 32 after that for simplicity, I wanted two set up the same and
> the other box was 32 bit. That has been replaced so 64 is possible
> if I must.

64-bit is better in almost every way. I'd go for it, myself.

Andrew.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 29/07/11 11:39, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:06:58 +0200
> Michael Schwendt<mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Install the kernel-PAE package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
>> the normal kernel package.
> I suspect a more fundamental problem. At least according to the Dell
> material the Dimension 4700 can only actually make fully use of 4GB
> (and in fact I imagine 3GB or 3.5GB in reality). It also needs a specific
> BIOS version to use 2Gb sticks, which presumably as it's detecting them
> and booting OK the BIOS is new enough.
>
> Alan

Yes, I read that in the instructions before making the change
but I thought perhaps it was due to a limitation of the original
Windows XP provided with it which is long gone.

The other computer now F-14 32 bit, shows cp0/cp1 as 64 bit
under lshw
but the basic computer as 32 bit. Is that because it's running
32 or is that a limitation?

[root@box9 bobg]# lshw -X
box9
product: HP Compaq dc5700 Microtower (EW287AV)
vendor: Hewlett-Packard
serial: MXL732039C
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4 smp-1.4 smp
configuration: boot=normal chassis=mini-tower cpus=2
family=103C_53307F sku=EW287AV
uuid=A4676739-EC44-DC11-BBDA-783D981B001B

I know, I should try it, but someone more knowledgeable may know
the answer?

Maybe I know the answer already, this Dell shows the same 32 bit
width and I know I had 64 bit Linux installed on it. Perhaps
that has some other meaning and my ignorance is showing!

Bob