Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Darlene Wallach

Default how do I test laptop internal hard drive from Knoppix DVD?

I cannot boot my laptop into grapical mode and text mode with my
internal hard drive.

I am using a Knoppix DVD to write this email.

Is there a way for me to use the Knoppix DVD to test the internal hard
drive of my laptop?

Thank you

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Joe Zeff

On 07/27/2011 01:51 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Is there a way for me to use the Knoppix DVD to test the internal hard
> drive of my laptop?

Wouldn't it be better to ask this on a Knoppix forum or list?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 AM
Hiisi

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk#Booting_from_Knoppix.2C_a_Linux_ LiveCD
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Darlene Wallach

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 01:51 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>> Is there a way for me to use the Knoppix DVD to test the internal hard
>> drive of my laptop?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to ask this on a Knoppix forum or list?
> --

On my laptop I cannot boot into graphical mode nor text mode. I'm
using a Knoppix 6.5 I got in a Linux Magazine. I thought there might
be a tool I could use from the Knoppix live DVD to test the internal
drive on my laptop. I currently have Fedora 13 installed on my laptop.
I don't know how to check/test the internal drive on my laptop using
the Knoppix 6.5 live DVD. If someone can give me some advice, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Darlene Wallach

Michael,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Michael D. Setzer II
<mikes@kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2011 at 5:14, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>
> Date sent: * * * * * * *Thu, 28 Jul 2011 05:14:02 +0000
> Subject: * * * * * * * *Re: how do I test laptop internal hard drive from
> Knoppix DVD?
> From: * * * * * * * * * Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@dslextreme.com>
> To: * * * * * * * * * * Community support for Fedora users
> <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Send reply to: * * * * *Community support for Fedora users
> <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> * * * *<mailto:users-
> request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscrib e>
> * * * *<mailto:users-
> request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

>> > Wouldn't it be better to ask this on a Knoppix forum or list?
>> > --
>>
>> On my laptop I cannot boot into graphical mode nor text mode. I'm
>> using a Knoppix 6.5 I got in a Linux Magazine. I thought there might
>> be a tool I could use from the Knoppix live DVD to test the internal
>> drive on my laptop. I currently have Fedora 13 installed on my laptop.
>> I don't know how to check/test the internal drive on my laptop using
>> the Knoppix 6.5 live DVD. If someone can give me some advice, I would
>> greatly appreciate it.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> Questions.
> What happens when you try to boot from the internal disk?

I have Fedora 13 installed.

On the graphical boot it shows text that usually does not show then
the progressive bar at the bottom of the screen starts out blue ending
with Fedora 13. When it reaches Fedora 13 it turns white and thats it
- nothing happens after that.

When I edit the boot prompt editing the kernel line - I add a space
and 3, it still does not boot, I get the text that I have not seen
before and it halts, I think that last thing displayed is "killed"

> If it gives and error, what is the error?

I don't remember everything displayed and I don't know how to access
it from using the Knoppix live DVD. I guess I would have to get access
to /var/log/messages or dmesg

> What OS do you have one the internal disk?

GNU/Linux the Fedora 13 distribution

> Are you looking at it having a hardware error or a configuration
> error?

I'm thinking I'm having a problem with the internal hard drive. It
shutdown last night and the problem started when I tried to boot this
morning.

> What kind of video card (chip) does the laptop have?
nvidia

> I am assuming the Knoppix CD is booting in graphics mode?

Yes

> There are also some kernel options that might help. I recently had
> a compaq laptop that would not boot with the regular keneral
> options, but with some failsafe options it worked fine.

What do you suggest I try on the kernel options?

> If it is hardware, some live-cds include testdisk program, which
> can do *things to check and possible repair issues.

The Knoppix 6.5 live DVD has testdisk but I'm not sure how to accesss
the internal hard drive of the laptop.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Alan Cox

> the progressive bar at the bottom of the screen starts out blue ending
> with Fedora 13. When it reaches Fedora 13 it turns white and thats it
> - nothing happens after that.

Does it just go white or does it fade to white. A white screen sounds
like the X server/graphics being the problem, so the '3' failure case is
odd.

> When I edit the boot prompt editing the kernel line - I add a space
> and 3, it still does not boot, I get the text that I have not seen
> before and it halts, I think that last thing displayed is "killed"

The content of the text is somewhat important if you want anyone to be
able to debug it.

> I'm thinking I'm having a problem with the internal hard drive. It
> shutdown last night and the problem started when I tried to boot this
> morning.

Boot with "init=/bin/sh"

Then at the # prompt

fsck -a /
fsck -a /boot
sync
sync
reboot

This will bring up just the kernel itself and a shell (no init, no
services), and you can then force a check of the file systems. If there
is anything inconsistent on the Linux side that should show it up and
probably fix it.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Joe Zeff

On 07/27/2011 11:45 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> GNU/Linux the Fedora 13 distribution

You do know, don't you, that F 13 is well past its End Of Life date and
is no longer receiving updates, even for security?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Darlene Wallach

Joe,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 11:45 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>> GNU/Linux the Fedora 13 distribution
>
> You do know, don't you, that F 13 is well past its End Of Life date and
> is no longer receiving updates, even for security?

Yes - thank you. I haven't taken the steps to back up everything as I
like to do a clean install vs an upgrade.

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law