Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Benoit Tremblay

Default memory reported under linux higher that allocated?

Hi,
*
I have 4 gig of RAM and when I allocate 3 gig the <top> utilities show that my application is using 87% of the available RAM, so it's a half a gig more, why? The application is not doing any disk access.

*

I just do a couple of malloc and the same amount of free at exit. I count all malloc by incrementing a "m" variable and I decrement the same "m" variable when*doing free and at the program exit*I display the value of "m"*and it is*zero. I stop doing malloc when my "m" variable reach 3 gigabytes so I am sure*I allocate only 3 gigabytes so why my application is using 87% of all available RAM?
*
Benoit

Old 02-14-2008, 09:30 PM
John Wendel

Benoit Tremblay wrote:

Hi,

I have 4 gig of RAM and when I allocate 3 gig the <top> utilities show
that my application is using 87% of the available RAM, so it's a half a
gig more, why? The application is not doing any disk access.

I just do a couple of malloc and the same amount of free at exit. I
count all malloc by incrementing a "m" variable and I decrement the same
"m" variable when doing free and at the program exit I display the value
of "m" and it is zero. I stop doing malloc when my "m" variable reach 3
gigabytes so I am sure I allocate only 3 gigabytes so why my application
is using 87% of all available RAM?

Benoit

What is the "available" RAM before your app starts? It is less than 4
GB, since there is a lot of other stuff running in addition to your app.

How much memory is you app using that isn't part of the malloc request?

John

Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Benoit Tremblay

My app start at 761k X 2 because a have an extra thread and my app is waiting*to receive a*command from another tcpip program that contrôle it.*So I know when*it start allocate memory to start doing what the app must do because*a*must send*a command to start it.

*

I used ps -el | grep myapp to see the program size, the "top" utility reported 0%.

*

I just added 4 more gig to my AMD 6400 computer, so it's using 8gig of RAM now.

*

now, when I ran my app, after it allocated 3gig of RAM, "top" reported that my app used 40.5% of*memory, it's suppose to be 37.5% so there is an extra 240 meg I dont know from where it come from.

*

ps -el reported that the parent thread is 809k in size and the child thread that do all the malloc is 828394k in size, It doesn't seem logic!

*

any idea.

*

----- when my app is currently allocating memory (see below)-----