Old 07-27-2011, 03:39 AM
yudi v

Default Unable to create a liveUSB from Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso

I am unable to create a liveUSB install of Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso.
*
first* I tried
*
dd if=~/Download/F15-Server-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdc
*
copies the files fine, but will not boot. not sure why?
something flashes by too quickly and then boots from the HDD.
*
/dev/sdc1 has the boot flag set.
*
As*I do not have access to a Fedora system, what other method can*I use to create a liveUSB?
*
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 07-27-2011, 03:52 AM
Ed Greshko

> I am unable to create a liveUSB install of Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso.
>
> first I tried
>
> dd if=~/Download/F15-Server-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdc
>
> copies the files fine, but will not boot. not sure why?
> something flashes by too quickly and then boots from the HDD.
>
> /dev/sdc1 has the boot flag set.
>
> As I do not have access to a Fedora system, what other method can I
> use to create a liveUSB?

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

yum install liveusb-creator

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 AM
yudi v

> As I do not have access to a Fedora system, what other method can I
> use to create a liveUSB?

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

yum install liveusb-creator

Ed, I already mentioned that* I do not have access to a Fedora system. Secondly,
*

Preparing the USB stick

The easiest setup method is to install Fedora's own livecd-iso-to-disk script from livecd-tools. Note that the liveusb-creator GUI, however, does not support putting the DVD installer on USB. (Unetbootin has worked in the past as well, but does not currently work for Fedora 14 and 15.)

taken from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB

I am curious why the DD command fails?

any guesses.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/27/2011 12:30 PM, yudi v wrote:

> > As I do not have access to a Fedora system, what other method can I
> > use to create a liveUSB?
> >
> https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
>
> yum install liveusb-creator
>
> Ed, I already mentioned that I do not have access to a Fedora
> system. Secondly,

Then use the Windows version!

It will download what is needed.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 AM
yudi v

Neither do I use Windows.
Debian user.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/27/2011 02:00 PM, yudi v wrote:
> Neither do I use Windows.
> Debian user.

Download the source code and build it.....

https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/liveusb-creator/liveusb-creator-3.11.1.tar.bz2

Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Frank Murphy

On 27/07/11 07:00, yudi v wrote:
> Neither do I use Windows.
> Debian user.
> --
> Kind regards,
> Yudi

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM
John Wendel

On 07/26/2011 09:30 PM, yudi v wrote:

> As I do not have access to a Fedora
system, what other method can I

> use to create a liveUSB?

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

yum install liveusb-creator

Ed, I already mentioned that* I do not have access to a Fedora
system. Secondly,
*

Preparing
the USB stick

The easiest setup method is to install Fedora's own livecd-iso-to-disk
script from livecd-tools. Note that the liveusb-creator GUI,
however, does not support putting the DVD installer on USB.
(Unetbootin has worked in the past as well, but does not
currently work for Fedora 14 and 15.)

taken from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB

I am curious why the DD command fails?

any guesses.

I just used DD to make a USB using the LIVE CD iso (not DVD). It
works fine.* Maybe the DVD version is arranged differently
(obviously).

Regards,

John

Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
fred smith

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 07:45:10AM -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 09:30 PM, yudi v wrote:
> >
> > > As I do not have access to a Fedora system, what other method can I
> > > use to create a liveUSB?
> > >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
> >
> > yum install liveusb-creator
> >
> > Ed, I already mentioned that I do not have access to a Fedora
> > system. Secondly,
> >

> > Preparing the USB stick
> >
> >The easiest setup method is to install Fedora's own
> >*livecd-iso-to-disk
> ><https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Livecd-iso-to-disk>* script from
> >livecd-tools. Note that the liveusb-creator GUI, however, does not
> >support putting the DVD installer on USB. (Unetbootin has worked in
> >the past as well, but does not currently work for Fedora 14 and 15.)
> >
> >taken from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
> >
> >I am curious why the DD command fails?
> >
> >any guesses.
> >

> I just used DD to make a USB using the LIVE CD iso (not DVD). It works
> fine. Maybe the DVD version is arranged differently (obviously).

For some related information, you may wish to see this article:

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/4957.html

Which goes into a lot more things than the differences between booting from
CDROM and booting from USB stick, but it does discuss those differences, and is
overall an interesting article on the contortions one must go thru to boot from
various different kinds of devices on different hardware and differnet operating
systems.

Because of the differences, a vanilla bootable cdrom image won't boot from USB
and an image designed to boot from USB won't boot from cdrom. But apparently it
IS possible to construct an image that will boot from either kind of device, so
that such an image could be written to a USB device via DD and expected to work.
But the "standard" way of creating cdrom images doesn't support that.

Hence the need for the various tools floating around for creating bootable
USB from a bootable cdrom image.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"