-   -   Automounting/unavailability of devices... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/556976-automounting-unavailability-devices.html)

"William W. Austin" 07-25-2011 05:28 AM

Automounting/unavailability of devices...

This never bothered me until after (a) I upgraded to fc15 and (b) a
friend asked me how to turn it off.

I have a box with a drive (used for writing out bios files
and the like for pc's).

When I insert a floppy, a cd, or a dvd into a drive and try to
access it, fc15 seems to have to think about it and then MAYBE give me
permission to access the device - and some things like xmms which used
to play cd's no problems or xine which did the same with DVD's get
blocked. (If I reboot under fc14 the problem goes away.)

I remember turning this off in 14 but for the life of me I can't
remember how. The behavior in 15 seems a bit more rigid than it was
in 14, although I can't be certain. I did a search through both the
docs AND my notes from 14, but I haven't found it yet.

Any info on how to turn off this "automount" feature would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
-- wwa
--
william w. austin airedad@att.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."

Tom Horsley 07-26-2011 12:12 AM

Automounting/unavailability of devices...

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:28:47 -0400
William W. Austin wrote:

> Any info on how to turn off this "automount" feature would be greatly
> appreciated.

"udisks" is a magic word to google.

I have /etc/udev/rules.d/99-zzz-local.rules with stuff like this
in it:

ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="BACKUP", ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"

That teaches it not to automount my usb drive with the partition
labeled BACKUP. I suspect there are other things besides
ID_FS_LABEL that you can look for, but that works well for
me for my backup drive (which is the last thing I want
automounted in every login session :-).