FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Chris Kottaridis
 
Default Where's the Junk

I am running Fedora 14 using Evolution connecting to an IMAP server on
the same machine that is using Mailbox type Maildir.

In evolution there is a Junk mailbox and I have filtering set in
evolution to filter for junk. When something meets the junk criteria the
mail shows up in the junk folder via evolution and not my inbox.

I just cretaed an account on my cell phone to the same IMAP server
account and on my cell phone the junk mail shows up in the INBOX.

I went perusing the Maildir for my account and I can't find any kind of
Junk folder. I see all the ones I have created, but not the Junk folder,
and in fact nothing that is obviously an INBOX either, though I am sure
there is one.

So, where does IMAP store the INBOX and how does evolution handle it's
Junk mailbox ?

Seems like there is an INBOX somewhere, that I just can't seem to find,
and that evolution just tags email in there as Junk in such a way that
it shows up in evolution's Junk mailbox, but not evolution's INBOX. But,
since my phone knows nothing about the evolution Junk "tag" it sees the
email in the INBOX.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Where's the Junk

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 14:45 -0600, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> I am running Fedora 14 using Evolution connecting to an IMAP server on
> the same machine that is using Mailbox type Maildir.
>
> In evolution there is a Junk mailbox and I have filtering set in
> evolution to filter for junk. When something meets the junk criteria the
> mail shows up in the junk folder via evolution and not my inbox.
>
What are you using to set up the Junk criteria?
> I just cretaed an account on my cell phone to the same IMAP server
> account and on my cell phone the junk mail shows up in the INBOX.
>
> I went perusing the Maildir for my account and I can't find any kind of
> Junk folder. I see all the ones I have created, but not the Junk folder,
> and in fact nothing that is obviously an INBOX either, though I am sure
> there is one.
>
> So, where does IMAP store the INBOX and how does evolution handle it's
> Junk mailbox ?
>
> Seems like there is an INBOX somewhere, that I just can't seem to find,
> and that evolution just tags email in there as Junk in such a way that
> it shows up in evolution's Junk mailbox, but not evolution's INBOX. But,
> since my phone knows nothing about the evolution Junk "tag" it sees the
> email in the INBOX.
>
> Thanks
> Chris Kottaridis


--
================================================== =====================
Push where it gives and scratch where it itches.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Where's the Junk

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 14:45 -0600, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> So, where does IMAP store the INBOX and how does evolution handle it's
> Junk mailbox ?

There is no Junk mailbox. Junk is a virtual folder (similar to Trash but
not identical). Junk mail is labelled as such on the IMAP server. Email
clients that don't handle IMAP labels correctly will just see it as
normal mail, since it's still in the Inbox.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Chris Kottaridis
 
Default Where's the Junk

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 17:00 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> There is no Junk mailbox. Junk is a virtual folder (similar to Trash
> but
> not identical). Junk mail is labelled as such on the IMAP server.
> Email
> clients that don't handle IMAP labels correctly will just see it as
> normal mail, since it's still in the Inbox.

OK, I figured it was something like that, a stupid cell phone client.

Still be interested in knowing where the INBOX is in a Maildir
environment. In dovecot.conf I have:

[Maildir]# ls
AA-inbox dovecot.index.cache dovecot-uidvalidity.4d1ac993 Sent
Accounts dovecot.index.log Fitness
subscriptions
Boating dovecot.index.log.2 Group Admin
Sysadmin
Computing dovecot-keywords Investing tmp
Contacts dovecot.mailbox.log Linux Trash
cur dovecot-uidlist Misc Trucks
dovecot.index dovecot-uidvalidity new XSpam

The AA-inbox is not it, that's a folder I created. So, it's not really
obvious out of this where the INBOX is.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org