Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
"Smith, Herb"

Default Updater doesn't work

Hello,

I'm a little late to the party here, so I don't know what has been discussed since the advent of FC 15. The main problem I'm having is that the Updater keeps telling me that there are updates but then when I click it to go ahead and install, it runs into all sorts of problems with many of the updates and will not execute. One of the main issues seems to be with the fedora-15-3 update, but there seem to be dozens that it has troubles with.

At one point in this process the updater popped up another window with a couple long lists of programs that needed updating that it was having trouble with and the window was longer than my laptop screen and I could not see the entire bottom of the window where the response buttons were located. The window could not be resized or anything. The only choice I had was to cancel the update process.

I'm not that excited about the new Gnome 3, but it will be ok if it gets to the point where more options are available. Although bluecurve is all installed (according to YUM), there doesn't seem to be a way to get it activated in the appearances. Also what's with the huge icons? Is there a way to get smaller icons ?

I have been a Fedora/RedHat user for some time now and have generally been impressed with the releases up to FC14. I'm hoping that things will be a bit smoother when 16 is available.

Thanks for any light (hope) you can shed.

Herb

Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Joe Zeff

On 07/25/2011 07:48 AM, Smith, Herb wrote:
> I'm a little late to the party here, so I don't know what has been discussed since the advent of FC 15. The main problem I'm having is that the Updater keeps telling me that there are updates but then when I click it to go ahead and install, it runs into all sorts of problems with many of the updates and will not execute. One of the main issues seems to be with the fedora-15-3 update, but there seem to be dozens that it has troubles with.

Do what I did: turn off the Updater, install yumex and use it regularly
to update your system.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 09:48 -0500, Smith, Herb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a little late to the party here, so I don't know what has been discussed since the advent of FC 15. The main problem I'm having is that the Updater keeps telling me that there are updates but then when I click it to go ahead and install, it runs into all sorts of problems with many of the updates and will not execute. One of the main issues seems to be with the fedora-15-3 update, but there seem to be dozens that it has troubles with.
>
> At one point in this process the updater popped up another window with a couple long lists of programs that needed updating that it was having trouble with and the window was longer than my laptop screen and I could not see the entire bottom of the window where the response buttons were located. The window could not be resized or anything. The only choice I had was to cancel the update process.
>
> I'm not that excited about the new Gnome 3, but it will be ok if it gets to the point where more options are available. Although bluecurve is all installed (according to YUM), there doesn't seem to be a way to get it activated in the appearances. Also what's with the huge icons? Is there a way to get smaller icons ?
>
> I have been a Fedora/RedHat user for some time now and have generally been impressed with the releases up to FC14. I'm hoping that things will be a bit smoother when 16 is available.
>
> Thanks for any light (hope) you can shed.
>
> Herb

At what point where you notified that their were waiting to be
installed?? Was it when you ran Software Update? Did you use the program
Software Updates to set up the update schedule. Software Updates wins
the prize for the most confusing name to assign to this program. What
where the Gnome people thinking. Two programs named Software Update and
Software Updates.