Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 AM
yudi v

Default How to add a new LUKS partition and open it with the global passphrase.

I have a system setup with LUKS on top of LVM, I plan to add a new LUKS logical volume.**Adding the entry for this LV into /etc/crypttab,* makes it ask for the passphrase at boot.
Now, what I want to know is how to make this partition decrypt*using the existing "global passphrase".
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 AM
yudi v

Does anyone know how Fedora installer sets up all the partitions to open with one passphrase?
Does it use a keyfile in the second slot, which in turn unlocks rest of the partitions. Assuming the first partition is unlocked by the passphrase and contains a keyfile in it.
I hope it's not. Doesn't sound very secure.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi

Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 15:24:13 +1000,
yudi v <yudi.tux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how Fedora installer sets up all the partitions to open
> with one passphrase?

Each passphrase encounted is tried on each luks device. If you use the same
passphrase on all of your luks devices, then you should only get asked
for it once during the boot process. However there is a bug in the handoff
between the early boot process and plymouth, so that sometimes you need
to enter it twice.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:05 AM
yudi v

So, if I create a new partition after initial setup, give it the same passphrase and add the entry*to /etc/crypttab, it should decrypt along with others at boot?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:05:20 +1000,
yudi v <yudi.tux@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, if I create a new partition after initial setup, give it the same
> passphrase and add the entry to /etc/crypttab, it should decrypt along with
> others at boot?

Yes. You'll also want to add an fstab entry for the file system so that
it ends up getting mounted after it is luks opened.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 AM
yudi v

Thank You.