-   -   F15: encrypted USB stick has wrong mount permissions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/555838-f15-encrypted-usb-stick-has-wrong-mount-permissions.html)

Patrick Lists 07-22-2011 06:19 PM

F15: encrypted USB stick has wrong mount permissions

Hi,

I've created an encrypted USB stick as follows:

# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb1
# cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdb1
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 luks-usb
# mkfs -t ext4 -L Kingston8GB /dev/mapper/luks-usb
# cryptsetup luksClose /dev/mapper/luks-usb

Now I remove the USB stick, wait a bit and put it back into my laptop
with F15. I am asked for the passphrase and the USB stick opens in
Nautilus. The only problem is that the owner of /media/Kingston8GB is
root.root and the permissions on the mounted USB stick are 755 (or
drwxr-xr-x.)

I don't see this problem when using a regular unencrypted USB stick.

Anyone know how I can solve the permission problem?

Thanks!

Regards,
Patrick

Ed Greshko 07-22-2011 11:18 PM

On 07/23/2011 02:19 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> Anyone know how I can solve the permission problem?

chown -R whatever:whatever mountpoint

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Patrick Lists 07-25-2011 08:50 AM

On 07/23/2011 01:18 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/23/2011 02:19 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
>> Anyone know how I can solve the permission problem?
>
> chown -R whatever:whatever mountpoint

Thanks Ed. That was so obvious I totally missed it as I was thinking
about udev rules, luks, devmapper and other way too complicated things.

Regards,
Patrick

Ed Greshko 07-25-2011 09:03 AM

On 07/25/2011 04:50 PM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> Thanks Ed. That was so obvious I totally missed it as I was thinking
> about udev rules, luks, devmapper and other way too complicated things.

Welcome. I've visited that forest before. :-)