Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Thomas Schweikle

Default network config

Hi!

After consulting the handbook and various further internet sites I
am a bit lost:

starting up my fedora system it only activates network interface lo.
no other network interface is brought up until I login and start it
with "ifup eth0".

Quite bad, if you expect to reach the system via ssh. Any idea how
I'll get that interface up together with the machine, without having
a user login and activate it?

I have
/etc/sysconfig/network:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=tola.fritz.box

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
TYPE=Ethernet

Rebooting doesn't enable eth0, only lo.

--
Thomas

Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Mike Wright

On 07/22/2011 08:37 AM, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After consulting the handbook and various further internet sites I
> am a bit lost:
>
> starting up my fedora system it only activates network interface lo.
> no other network interface is brought up until I login and start it
> with "ifup eth0".
>
> Quite bad, if you expect to reach the system via ssh. Any idea how
> I'll get that interface up together with the machine, without having
> a user login and activate it?
>
> I have
> /etc/sysconfig/network:
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=tola.fritz.box
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
> DEVICE="eth0"
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> ONBOOT=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> TYPE=Ethernet
>
> Rebooting doesn't enable eth0, only lo.

Do you have "network" enabled to run on boot?

"chkconfig network on" # enable network scripts on boot
"service network start" # start the network now

Old 07-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Thomas Schweikle <tps@vr-web.de> wrote:

> starting up my fedora system it only activates network interface lo.
> no other network interface is brought up until I login and start it
> with "ifup eth0".
>
> I have
> /etc/sysconfig/network:
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=tola.fritz.box
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
> DEVICE="eth0"
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> ONBOOT=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> TYPE=Ethernet
>
> Rebooting doesn't enable eth0, only lo.

What's the output of "chkconfig --list network"?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 PM
"j.e.aneiros"

Please be sure you have a cable connected to the NIC. You can check with ifconfig eth0 (look for the RUNNING label) or using ethtool.

[...]

J. E. AneirosGNU/Linux User #190716 en http://counter.li.orgperl -e '$_=pack(c5,0105,0107,0123,0132,(1<<3)+2);y[A-Z][N-ZA-M];print;'
PK fingerprint: 5179 917E 5B34 F073 E11A *AFB3 4CB3 5301 4A80 F674

Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 17:37 +0200, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After consulting the handbook and various further internet sites I
> am a bit lost:
>
> starting up my fedora system it only activates network interface lo.
> no other network interface is brought up until I login and start it
> with "ifup eth0".
>
> Quite bad, if you expect to reach the system via ssh. Any idea how
> I'll get that interface up together with the machine, without having
> a user login and activate it?
>
> I have
> /etc/sysconfig/network:
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=tola.fritz.box
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
> DEVICE="eth0"
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> ONBOOT=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> TYPE=Ethernet
>
> Rebooting doesn't enable eth0, only lo.
>

> --
> Thomas

Right click on the NM-applet. Then choose a connction and click edit. In
the lower lrft corner click Available to all users, and you should get
the behavior you want. This is done by default on wired connectionws.

To do this of course you need to have the connection NM_CONTROLLED.