Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
"shailesh "

Default RECOVERING FEDORA AFTER WINDOWS XP

i have installed windows xp over fedora 15. How do I recover the fedora bootloader now?
in running fdisk -l it displays
/dev/sda1 ..... ..... ntfs
/dev/sda2 ..... ..... ntfs
/dev/sda3 ..... .....ntfs
/dev/sda4 ..... ..... ntfs
/dev/sda5 ..... ..... ntfs
/dev/sda6 ..... ..... swap
/dev/sda7 ..... ..... linux

I tried chroot /mnt/sysimage
******** grub-install /dev/sda7
******** Ctrl+D (twice)
But its not booting. The boot menu appears but error is displayed regarding unable to mount device

Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Roberto Ragusa

On 07/22/2011 02:14 PM, shailesh wrote:
> i have installed windows xp over fedora 15. How do I recover the fedora bootloader now?
> in running fdisk -l it displays
> /dev/sda1 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda2 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda3 ..... .....ntfs
> /dev/sda4 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda5 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda6 ..... ..... swap
> /dev/sda7 ..... ..... linux
>
> I tried chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub-install /dev/sda7
> Ctrl+D (twice)
> But its not booting. The boot menu appears but error is displayed regarding unable to mount device

Did you check if the grub.conf file has some wrong information?
For example, the root partition is sda7? Did you have a boot
partition? Is /etc/fstab consistent?
If you can get to the grub menu, you also have the boot console (by
pressing 'c'), so you could try things there.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 07-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 12:14 +0000, shailesh wrote:
> i have installed windows xp over fedora 15. How do I recover the fedora bootloader now?
> in running fdisk -l it displays
> /dev/sda1 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda2 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda3 ..... .....ntfs
> /dev/sda4 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda5 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda6 ..... ..... swap
> /dev/sda7 ..... ..... linux
>
> I tried chroot /mnt/sysimage
>        &nbsp ; grub-install /dev/sda7
>        &nbsp ; Ctrl+D (twice)
> But its not booting. The boot menu appears but error is displayed regarding unable to mount device

Grub makes my head ache, but this has worked for me in similar
situations:

1) Boot your machine with a Fedora rescue disk (or an install disk in
rescue mode). This will find your Linux partition and mount it.

2) Use chroot to change root to the mounted system (i.e. follow the
onscreen instructions).

3) Use grub-install(1) to restore the Grub configuration.

Hope that helps.

poc