Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
François Patte

Default gdm WM chooser

Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Thursday 21 July 2011 09:51:23 François Patte wrote:
> Once upon a time, I could choose my window manager and language from the
> gdm greeter. I recently installed F14 and this possibility is no longer
> there: did I miss to install some package? And which one?

You still can do it in gdm, the only difference (as compared to the "old"
behavior we are all used to) is that you need to type your username first.

The steps are actually like this:

1) you type your username
2) the menu with options appears in the bottom row
3) you choose the options you want from the menu
4) you type your password
5) you click the login button

As stupid as it may look, this options menu is unavailable before you type
your username. My guess is that this design avoids abuse on a multiuser system
(for example, you choose some ugly window manager, some obscure-character
language, and leave the settings for the poor next user to log in without
checking them...).

A lot of people have been flaming gdm for this when it was introduced several
Fedora versions back (I don't remember exactly). After a while some got used
to it, while others switched to kdm and lived happily-everafter. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 AM
?? ??

On 07/21/2011 05:51 PM, François Patte wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> Once upon a time, I could choose my window manager and language from the
> gdm greeter. I recently installed F14 and this possibility is no longer
> there: did I miss to install some package? And which one?
>
> Thanks.

On F14 I have these options available from GDM, but only after I've
entered my username or selected a login to use (which is different than
F12/13 I think).

The WM option did not appear until I did a "yum install [new-WM]". The
languages have always been there, as Japanese and English support were
installed with the system, but I don't know if there are any language
options available if you just install with en_US only.

-Iwao