Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Richard Shaw

Default installing picasa

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Robert Vargas <robertjvargas2@aol.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone help me.
> I'am trying to install google picasa3.0 without wine.
> I downloaded 3.0 and it opens for a second or two then disappers ?

You didn't say what version of Fedora you're running but since at
least F14, I've needed to copy wine-preloader from the current wine
package into /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/bin/ and for internet
connectivity (Picasa Web Albums) you also need to copy over
"wininet.dll" into /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/lib/wine.

Richard

Old 07-21-2011, 03:41 AM
James McKenzie

On 7/20/11 2:41 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Robert Vargas<robertjvargas2@aol.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can anyone help me.
>> I'am trying to install google picasa3.0 without wine.
>> I downloaded 3.0 and it opens for a second or two then disappers ?
> You didn't say what version of Fedora you're running but since at
> least F14, I've needed to copy wine-preloader from the current wine
> package into /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/bin/ and for internet
> connectivity (Picasa Web Albums) you also need to copy over
> "wininet.dll" into /opt/google/picasa/3.0/wine/lib/wine.
You will need to install Wine to use Picasa in Linux.

Reference Google and their implementation of Picasa. Wine is also
needed to run it on MacOSX.

James

Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Richard Shaw

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:41 PM, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/11 2:41 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Robert Vargas<robertjvargas2@aol.com> *wrote:
> You will need to install Wine to use Picasa in Linux.

Umm.. No, it comes bundled with wine. Maybe you're thinking of running
the windows version on Linux, then yes, but the RPM provided by Google
does not require wine other than the two files I mentioned as the
version they bundle has issues on more recent Fedora releases.

However, I may give up on Picasa for Linux since it's stuck at 3.0 and
the windows counterpart is at 3.8.

Richard

Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Richard Shaw