Old 02-14-2008, 01:41 PM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

Default Hiding a network interface.

For reasons which are long and complicated, I need
to hide a NIC interface. The test machine is a
box with 2 Nic interfaces on the motherboard and
a strange PCI card with 2 more interfaces. They
appear as eth0, eth1, eth2, and eth3. I need
to make eth3 not be there. (Not allowed to use
a soldering iron :-) ).

On Solaris I can use "ifconfig unplumb eth3" and
the device is gone. ifconfig no longer shows it.

Is there a way to do this in Fedora/linux. I thought
about modules.conf, but that would get rid of both
nic interfaces since they use the same driver.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, Az.

PS: No, I cannot go get a NIC card with only one
interface. I have to do this the way the hardware
is set up.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Matt Domsch

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 08:41:49AM -0600, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> For reasons which are long and complicated, I need
> to hide a NIC interface. The test machine is a
> box with 2 Nic interfaces on the motherboard and
> a strange PCI card with 2 more interfaces. They
> appear as eth0, eth1, eth2, and eth3. I need
> to make eth3 not be there. (Not allowed to use
> a soldering iron :-) ).
>
> On Solaris I can use "ifconfig unplumb eth3" and
> the device is gone. ifconfig no longer shows it.
>
> Is there a way to do this in Fedora/linux. I thought
> about modules.conf, but that would get rid of both
> nic interfaces since they use the same driver.

You want the driver core to unbind the device. It's done something
like this (note bnx2 is an ethernet driver, substitute for your own):

echo "eth3" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/bnx2/unbind

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

For reasons which are long and complicated, I need
to hide a NIC interface. The test machine is a
box with 2 Nic interfaces on the motherboard and
a strange PCI card with 2 more interfaces. They
appear as eth0, eth1, eth2, and eth3. I need
to make eth3 not be there. (Not allowed to use
a soldering iron :-) ).

On Solaris I can use "ifconfig unplumb eth3" and
the device is gone. ifconfig no longer shows it.

Is there a way to do this in Fedora/linux. I thought
about modules.conf, but that would get rid of both
nic interfaces since they use the same driver.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, Az.

PS: No, I cannot go get a NIC card with only one
interface. I have to do this the way the hardware
is set up.

I wounder if something like "alias eth3 off" in /etc/modprobe.conf
would work?

Mikkel

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

For reasons which are long and complicated, I need
to hide a NIC interface. The test machine is a
box with 2 Nic interfaces on the motherboard and
a strange PCI card with 2 more interfaces. They
appear as eth0, eth1, eth2, and eth3. I need
to make eth3 not be there. (Not allowed to use
a soldering iron :-) ).

If it's just a matter of not starting up at boot change the value of
'ONBOOT' in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3 to 'no'. This way
you are not permanently disabling the device, just switching it off. You
won't see it in ifconfig.

विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
Linux 2.6.23.8-63.fc8 x86_64

Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 02:15:45 +0530,
"Vivek J. Patankar" <vivek.patankar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> >For reasons which are long and complicated, I need
> >to hide a NIC interface. The test machine is a
> >box with 2 Nic interfaces on the motherboard and
> >a strange PCI card with 2 more interfaces. They
> >appear as eth0, eth1, eth2, and eth3. I need
> >to make eth3 not be there. (Not allowed to use
> >a soldering iron :-) ).
>
> If it's just a matter of not starting up at boot change the value of
> 'ONBOOT' in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3 to 'no'. This way
> you are not permanently disabling the device, just switching it off. You
> won't see it in ifconfig.

That won't hide it from 'ip'. It might help to have a better idea of what the
original poster was trying to accomplish by hiding the network card, in
particular who or what was it supposed to be hidden from.