Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default evolution problem :messages that can't be expunged in F14

This problem is on my F14 machine.
In Evolution there are two messages appearing in the Inbox list which
when one trys to view them you get the following messages such as:

Cannot get message 31305 from
folder /home/akonstam/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/Inbox The folder
appears to be irrecoverably corrupted.

The error is correct. The message bodies are not in the Inbox file. I
have tried the usual fixing method of executing:
evolution --force-shutdown

Then removing the
file: /home/akonstam/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/Inbox.ibex.index

When I start evolution again the Inbox.ibex.index file is recreated but
the defective messages still appear and can not be expunged.

What can I do to fix the problem?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 07:56 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> This problem is on my F14 machine.
> In Evolution there are two messages appearing in the Inbox list which
> when one trys to view them you get the following messages such as:
>
> Cannot get message 31305 from
> folder /home/akonstam/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/Inbox The folder
> appears to be irrecoverably corrupted.
>
> The error is correct. The message bodies are not in the Inbox file. I
> have tried the usual fixing method of executing:
> evolution --force-shutdown
>
> Then removing the
> file: /home/akonstam/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/Inbox.ibex.index
>
> When I start evolution again the Inbox.ibex.index file is recreated but
> the defective messages still appear and can not be expunged.
>
> What can I do to fix the problem?

Try scrubbing the database:

evolution --force-shutdown
cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/
for i in `find . -name folders.db`
do
echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
done

poc

Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Genes MailLists

>> What can I do to fix the problem?
>
> Try scrubbing the database:

I rcall similar problem more than 7 years ago and am a bit surprised
its still there (tho not completely as evo dev was (imo) always pretty
sluggish) ...

have you considered an alternate mail client?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 09:36 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 08:59 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>

> >> What can I do to fix the problem?
> >
> > Try scrubbing the database:
> >

> I rcall similar problem more than 7 years ago and am a bit surprised
> its still there (tho not completely as evo dev was (imo) always pretty
> sluggish) ...
>
> have you considered an alternate mail client?

Not sure if this is intended for me or for the OP, but anyway: I have
tried multiple MUAs over the years, including Kmail, Claws, Thunderbird,
Elm, EXMH, etc. They all suck for one reason or another (no religious
wars please). About 10 years ago I started using Evolution. It also
sucks in its way but less than most in my usage scenario, and I try to
make it better by participating on the Evo list. None of the others are
worth the agony of switching. No doubt fans of the other MUAs feel much
the same towards Evo.

My alternate mail client is called Gmail. I find myself using it more
and more, partly because it keeps getting better without any effort on
my part and I can always find all my mail as long as I have a net
connection, including on my phone.

Snide comments about Google taking over the world, sucking up all my
personal info, being in league with the devil etc., will be cordially
ignored. I know what I'm doing and it's my choice.

poc

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 08:29 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 07:56 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > This problem is on my F14 machine.
> > In Evolution there are two messages appearing in the Inbox list which
> > when one trys to view them you get the following messages such as:
> >
> > Cannot get message 31305 from
> > folder /home/akonstam/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/Inbox The folder
> > appears to be irrecoverably corrupted.
> >
> > The error is correct. The message bodies are not in the Inbox file. I
> > have tried the usual fixing method of executing:
> > evolution --force-shutdown
> >
> > Then removing the
> > file: /home/akonstam/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/Inbox.ibex.index
> >
> > When I start evolution again the Inbox.ibex.index file is recreated but
> > the defective messages still appear and can not be expunged.
> >
> > What can I do to fix the problem?
>
> Try scrubbing the database:
>
> evolution --force-shutdown
> cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/
> for i in `find . -name folders.db`
> do
> echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
> sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
> done
>
> poc

I have a record of you suggesting this before.

I any case the problem fixed itself the next time I ran evolution.