Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
François Patte

Default invisible audacious (never seen something so stupid!)

Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Philip Heron

On 19/07/2011 23:25, François Patte wrote:
> In audacious preferences, there exists the possibilty to hide the
> player.... When you use this, the player disappear.....
>
> Well! And how to get it visible after that?

This might be the same thing that happens me with Spotify - try moving
the mouse to the very bottom right of the screen and a black bar should
appear along the bottom. There might be an icon for audacious there.

> Erase the config file?

Or this

-Phil

Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:25:02 +0200, FP (François) wrote:

> In audacious preferences, there exists the possibilty to hide the
> player.... When you use this, the player disappear.....
>
> Well! And how to get it visible after that?
>
> Erase the config file?

No. Run "audtool --mainwin-show on". If you still have any Audacious
window open, such as the playlist window, you can press Alt+M to toggle
the main window.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
François Patte

Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:33:29 +0200, FP (François) wrote:

> > On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 00:25:02 +0200, FP (François) wrote:
> >
> >> In audacious preferences, there exists the possibilty to hide the
> >> player.... When you use this, the player disappear.....
> >>
> >> Well! And how to get it visible after that?
> >>
> >> Erase the config file?
> >
> > No. Run "audtool --mainwin-show on".
>
> Thanks, this worked.
>
> But what is the utility of this possibility to hide the audacious
> window?

To reduce screen space usage in flexible ways. E.g. to keep just the
playlist window open, because it is sufficient to control the player
with the tiny buttons at the bottom.

Also, to implement features that have been available in XMMS, too.
Some of the features of the Winamp UI probably won't be readded after
Audacious 3, but in 2.5.x they are still available.

Anyway, meanwhile I prefer the GTK interface over the skinned one.

> After doing this, if any music is playing you have no other
> choice (except the one you indicate) than to use a killall to stop
> audacious!

Not true either. No need to kill it like that.

For example, you could still run audacious -m, or run audtool to control
the running Audacious instanced in many ways. Just read "man audtool"
and/or audtool --help.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 11:33 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> But what is the utility of this possibility to hide the audacious
> window? After doing this, if any music is playing you have no other
> choice (except the one you indicate)

The point of hiding an interface would be get it out the way when you
need all your screen space, and you have some other way of controlling
the player (e.g. some other program, or special hotkeys on your
keyboard).

It's kind of unusual for a GUI program to not leave some footprint,
somewhere, for you to mouse over and control it. Such as an icon in the
status notification area on the old taskbar.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 23:19:20 +0930, T (Tim) wrote:

> It's kind of unusual for a GUI program to not leave some footprint,
> somewhere, for you to mouse over and control it. Such as an icon in the
> status notification area on the old taskbar.

A status icon is available and can be enabled on demand. With it, you
can open a window and then reopen the main player window, too.