Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
François Patte

Default persistent image with firefox 3.6.18

Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 AM
fred smith

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:23:46PM +0200, François Patte wrote:

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Old 07-20-2011, 04:07 AM

On 07/20/2011 01:34 AM, fred smith wrote:
<>

>> I find I have strange stuff on my screen, using firefox, whenever
>> I'm looking at icanhazcheezburger.org... some images stay on the screen

i do not have problems op states.

when using os;

]$ uname -a
Linux 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 31 13:24:21 EDT 2011 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

and firefox;

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.18) Gecko/20110622
Red Hat/3.6-1.el5_6 Firefox/3.6.18

not only do not have op's problems, i can not find site you show. i get
'server not found'.

so, if you or op could post a good link to where problems occur, i will
be glad to check to see what i get.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 07-20-2011, 04:25 AM
Ed Greshko

On 07/20/2011 12:07 PM, g wrote:
> not only do not have op's problems, i can not find site you show. i get
> 'server not found'.

Fred "has" a typo in the site name.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 AM

On 07/20/2011 04:25 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 12:07 PM, g wrote:
>> not only do not have op's problems, i can not find site you show. i get
>> 'server not found'.
>
> Fred "has" a typo in the site name.

so i found out while waiting for a reply.

after posting, i entered just "icanhazcheezburger" and turns out that
it is;

http://icanhazcheezburger.com/

not ".org".

anyway, i have no problems with site, unless problems are on a certain page.

as for the cats, they make great moving targets.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**

Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
François Patte

Le 20/07/2011 06:07, g a écrit :

> On 07/20/2011 01:34 AM, fred smith wrote:
> <>
>
>>> I find I have strange stuff on my screen, using firefox, whenever
>>> I'm looking at icanhazcheezburger.org... some images stay on the screen
>
> i do not have problems op states.
>
> when using os;
>
> ]$ uname -a
> Linux 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 31 13:24:21 EDT 2011 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux
>
> and firefox;
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.18) Gecko/20110622
> Red Hat/3.6-1.el5_6 Firefox/3.6.18
>
> not only do not have op's problems, i can not find site you show. i get
> 'server not found'.
>
> so, if you or op could post a good link to where problems occur, i will
> be glad to check to see what i get.

For instance:

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Even if I do not start the video, I can seen le al-jazeera logo on every
desk (I am using gnome with several desks) And even if I cancel
firefox, the logo is still there.

Another:

http://sites.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/em/concert-soir/emission.php?e_id=80000056&d_id=425002938

Try this a click on the icon on the right (a stylized headset) a popup
opens which remains visible on each desk.

Same for this one:

http://www.arte.tv/fr/Comprendre-le-monde/arte-journal/103288.html

I don't understand what is this phenomenon.

Thanks for helping.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes
45, rue des Saints Pères
F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tél. +33 (0)1 4286 2145

Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
François Patte

Old 07-20-2011, 01:16 PM

On 07/20/2011 10:22 AM, François Patte wrote:
<>

> I just add a precision to my mail: the problem seems to be a firefox
> problem (or firefox+some config on my computer, but which one?): I just
> installed google chrome and all these problems do not exist.

i will disagree, to a point, in this respect, i opened sites you provided
links for.

i enabled java script and flash, view videos, closed. no problems of
image retention on active or other desktops.

with you finding problems, i tend to believe that you have a combination
problem.

that is combination of gnome and firefox. [even tho poc continually insist
that firefox is a gone app.]

because you do not have problem with 'google chrome', seems you are left
with choices;

1) upgrade gnome if not latest.
2) upgrade/downgrade nvidia drivers.
3) use different drivers for nvidia card.
4) try with kde or other desktop.
5) use 'google chrome'.
6) check to see if there is a later version of firefox for gnome.
7) use scientific linux for web browsing and fedora for offline work.
8) join gnome support list, and post problem there.

other than that, wait a day or two to see if someone else has a solution,
because i do recall another post of very similar problem. do not recall
what list it was on.

maybe a search with 'google linux advanced';

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux& num=100

will produce solution.

much luck to you in finding solution.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**

Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM
François Patte

Le 20/07/2011 15:16, g a écrit :
> On 07/20/2011 10:22 AM, François Patte wrote:
> <>
>
>> I just add a precision to my mail: the problem seems to be a firefox
>> problem (or firefox+some config on my computer, but which one?): I just
>> installed google chrome and all these problems do not exist.
>
> i will disagree, to a point, in this respect, i opened sites you provided
> links for.
>
> i enabled java script and flash, view videos, closed. no problems of
> image retention on active or other desktops.
>
> with you finding problems, i tend to believe that you have a combination
> problem.
>
> that is combination of gnome and firefox. [even tho poc continually insist
> that firefox is a gone app.]
>
> because you do not have problem with 'google chrome', seems you are left
> with choices;
>
> 1) upgrade gnome if not latest.

Latest coming with fedora 14. I don't want to test gnome 3 with f15

> 2) upgrade/downgrade nvidia drivers.

Latest coming with fedora 14

> 3) use different drivers for nvidia card.

???

> 4) try with kde or other desktop.

never

> 5) use 'google chrome'.

could be possible

> 6) check to see if there is a later version of firefox for gnome.

latest coming with f14

> 7) use scientific linux for web browsing and fedora for offline work.

????

> 8) join gnome support list, and post problem there.

????

Seems to be a problem between firefox and flash-plugin

- --

Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Genes MailLists

On 07/21/2011 04:47 AM, François Patte wrote:

> Seems to be a problem between firefox and flash-plugin

While latest firefox has finally gotten as fast as chrome I still
prefer chrome in just about every way.

So you may want to move up to a newer firefox (3.6 is very old and
horribly slow) - the current stable version is 5.0.1

That said - have you tried the latest beta flash 11 - both 64 bit and
32 bit are available and they are much improved.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html

gene/