Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Jonathan Ryshpan

Default How setup fonts and themes for gnome applications on kde under Fedora 15

How can the font size of gnome applications (in particular evolution) be
controlled when they are being run under KDE? A method for carrying
over the font (and theme) setup from KDE to gnome would be best, but an
independent parallel method for font control of gnome applications would
also be OK. The versions of KDE and gnome are: KDE-4.6.4, gnome-3.0.1 .

Thanks - jon

Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:07:49 -0700
Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> How can the font size of gnome applications (in particular evolution) be
> controlled when they are being run under KDE?

The /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon has to be running for
gnome progs to discover any settings you have made. At
least that's what I discovered I needed when running
under fvwm:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/degnome.html

(somewhat old, but I think mostly valid still).

Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Veeti Paananen

On 07/19/2011 11:07 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> How can the font size of gnome applications (in particular evolution) be
> controlled when they are being run under KDE? A method for carrying
> over the font (and theme) setup from KDE to gnome would be best, but an
> independent parallel method for font control of gnome applications would
> also be OK. The versions of KDE and gnome are: KDE-4.6.4, gnome-3.0.1 .
>
> Thanks - jon

KDE has a configuration section for GTK+ widget styles & fonts in System
Settings -> Application Appearance, but it seems that Evolution isn't
affected by those settings. Maybe this is some GTK/GNOME 3 incompatibility?

Thunderbird, on the other hand, does respect my settings. (That
obviously doesn't fix all the GNOME dialogs and other non-nativities,
though...)

--
Veeti Paananen - KDE Thunderbird user who probably should try out KMail
sometime

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 16:32 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:07:49 -0700
> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>
> > How can the font size of gnome applications (in particular evolution) be
> > controlled when they are being run under KDE?
>
> The /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon has to be running for
> gnome progs to discover any settings you have made. At
> least that's what I discovered I needed when running
> under fvwm:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/degnome.html
>
> (somewhat old, but I think mostly valid still).

I'm afraid this is out of date, except for the note in the reference
that "no GTK programs will render fonts readably unless they have access
to the custom font settings you can establish". When I try to
run /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon, I get the following messages,
and font control doesn't seem to work. It looks like
gnome-settings-daemon isn't compatible with the latest KDE font/theme
control.

$ /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

** (gnome-settings-daemon:8440): WARNING **: You can only run one xsettings manager at a time; exiting

** (gnome-settings-daemon:8440): WARNING **: Unable to start xsettings manager: Could not initialize xsettings manager.

(gnome-settings-daemon:8440): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:8440): WARNING **: Unable to register client: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gnome-settings-daemon:8440): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to open directory: Error opening directory '/run/udev/firmware-missing': No such file or directory

(gnome-settings-daemon:8440): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get upgrades: GetDistroUpgrades not yet supported by backend

$

Foo - jon

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Jonathan Ryshpan

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 02:06 +0300, Veeti Paananen wrote:
> > How can the font size of gnome applications (in particular evolution) be
> > controlled when they are being run under KDE? A method for carrying
> > over the font (and theme) setup from KDE to gnome would be best, but an
> > independent parallel method for font control of gnome applications would
> > also be OK. The versions of KDE and gnome are: KDE-4.6.4, gnome-3.0.1 .
> >
> > Thanks - jon
>
> KDE has a configuration section for GTK+ widget styles & fonts in
> System
> Settings -> Application Appearance, but it seems that Evolution isn't
> affected by those settings. Maybe this is some GTK/GNOME 3
> incompatibility?
>
> Thunderbird, on the other hand, does respect my settings. (That
> obviously doesn't fix all the GNOME dialogs and other non-nativities,
> though...)

I haven't tried thunderbird, but KDE font control doesn't seem to work
for nautilus. Are you running the same versions of KDE and gnome as me?

Thanks - jon