-   -   Installing Fedora with LVM and LUKS, using the encryption layer on top of the LVM layer. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/553727-installing-fedora-lvm-luks-using-encryption-layer-top-lvm-layer.html)

yudi v 07-18-2011 11:51 AM

Installing Fedora with LVM and LUKS, using the encryption layer on top of the LVM layer.

I am trying to install Fedora 15 32bit on a laptop with 750Gb Advanced Format WD drive.

the partition scheme I have in my mind is like this:

sda1 100GB* Win7
sda2 500MB /boot
sda3 500GB* LVM (also the PV and the VG)

-LV 15GB /root (encrypted)
-LV* 50GB /home (encrypted)
-LV* 4GB swap partition (encrypted)
- leave the rest unassigned for the time being
sda4 150GB* NTFS ( whatever is left)

I successfully setup a test system with the LUKS layer under the LVM, that is encrypting the whole PV rather than encrypting individual LVs. It boots fine without any issues and I only have to enter the pass phrase once. Now I would like to change this setup with the LVM layer below the LUKS layer. That way I do not have to worry about decrypting 500Gb at every boot.

*I would like to know if there is a way to decrypt all the encrypted LVs with one pass phrase.
--
Kind regards,
Yudi