FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Elliott Chapin
 
Default jack audio kit

On 07/18/2011 07:26 PM, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
> When I try to start jack audio kit via QjackCtl I get
> the message below. Something seems to be using the audio card.
> How do I figure out what is using the card and then how to stop it?
> I think this is related to the fact that I only get system sounds but
> no sound from any other application (xmms, xine,...)
> Thanks,
> Zoran
>
>

Same - I've started to follow a couple of the speciality lists;
something may be in F. testing.

--
http://clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Brendan Jones
 
Default jack audio kit

On 19/07/11 09:26, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
> the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
> application using it and run JACK again
>
> Cannot initialize driver
>
> JackServer::Open() failed with -1
>
> Failed to open server
>
> 19:22:41.113 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
>
> 19:22:43.166 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
> operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
> messages window for more info.
>
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
>
> Cannot connect to server socket
>
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
>
>
Another application currently has a hold of the sound card via Alsa.

Close anything which maybe outputting sound and try again.

Further information can be found here:
/usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.7/README.Fedora

regards,

Brendan

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default jack audio kit

On 07/17/2011 09:24 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:

>>
>> Cannot connect to server socket
>>
>> jack server is not running or cannot be started
>>
>>
> Another application currently has a hold of the sound card via Alsa.
>
> Close anything which maybe outputting sound and try again.
>
> Further information can be found here:
> /usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.7/README.Fedora
>

silly question most likely - but do you need to turn pulse off?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Brendan Jones
 
Default jack audio kit

On 19/07/11 11:49, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
> I actually uninstalled pulseaudio (not the libs).
> If it were installed, how would I turn it off?
> Taanks,
> zoran
pulseaudio -k

Then try closing firefox, skype or anything else which may be outputting
audio to the sound card - try turning off system sounds as well.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Brendan Jones
 
Default jack audio kit

On 19/07/11 14:33, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
> Actually on boot I get the following message before I start any
> applications:
>
> KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
>
> *Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?*
>
> This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
>
> *
>
> Capture: Default
>
> *
>
> Output: Default
>
> *
>
> Output: M Audio Audiophile 24/96, ICE1712 multi (IEC958 (S/PDIF)
> Digital Audio Output
>
>
>
> Only once I was able to get any sound from any audio/video applications
> when I uncommented the line in /etc/pulse/default.pa
>
> #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
>
> This was when pulseaudio was installed.
> Then the sound went away and I have not been able to recover it.
>
> Thanks,
> Zoran
>
>
>
You can try the steps below. Also try look here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SoundTroubleshooting

Determine your sound card:

~ $cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [UA25EX ]: USB-Audio - UA-25EX
EDIROL UA-25EX at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2, full speed
1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf600000 irq 22
2 [mini ]: USB-Audio - MPK mini
AKAI PROFESSIONAL,LP MPK mini at
usb-0000:03:00.0-1, full speed

In the setup of qjackctl in interface instead of hw:0 hw:1 etc use the
value in brackets above. In my case hw:UA25EX

yum install alsa-plugins-jack and create the following file ~/.asoundrc.
Set card 0 to whatever number your card has been given above.


~ $cat .asoundrc
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0

}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave { pcm "jack" }

}

pcm.jack {
type jack
playback_ports {
0 systemlayback_1
1 systemlayback_2
}
capture_ports {
0 system:capture_1
1 system:capture_2
}

}

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Brendan Jones
 
Default jack audio kit

On 20/07/11 09:45, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
> Brendan, thanks for your suggestions.
> Unfortunately, none worked.
> But I made some progress today.
> I reinstalled pulseaudio and alsa-pulse-plugin, uncommented
> the line
> //#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0//
> in// /etc/pulse/default.pa//
> and I got sound on firefox/flash.
> The trouble began when I tried to play video with one of the video players.
> Xine crashed on start. Vlc played video but I got no sound.
> I think pulseaudio got killed and I can not restart it any more.
> When I try to restart pulseaudio this is what I get:
> $ pulseaudio --start
> E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.
>
> Even when the sounfd in firefox worked I still got
> the warning message below on boot.
I think its because pulse replaces the sound card devices with a
pulsaudio device as specified in /etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf
> Any further suggestions?
> Thanks in advance!

pulseaudio -k; pulseaudio -vv

will kill pulse and run it in the foreground. Check the right sink is
selected in kmix

If you can't get t working file a pulseaudio bug in bugzilla and I'll
assign it to myself. Reply with the link. Leave /etc/pulse/default.pa as
it was installed.

Attach as much as you can from the links I posted. ie.
- output of alsa-info
- output of pulseaudio -k; pulseaudio -vv
- sudo egrep 'jack|alsa|pulse' /var/log/yum.log

You can check vlc output option in Tools -> Options. There are some
other things you can try listed here whihc hare KDE specific:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE_PulseAudio_Integration

After that we can look at getting jack working.

regards,

Brendan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 AM
Brendan Jones
 
Default jack audio kit

On 20/07/11 15:28, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
> This is what I get when I execute
> pulseaudio -k;
> and then
> pulseaudio -vv
>

Try it again after rm -rf ~/.pulse
This will remove previous state information.

Make sure #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0 is commented.
The card number is not guaranteed

Run alsa-info and attach the output to a *bugzilla report*. It will give
you a place to keep your attachments rather than this list.

> I can say that when I look at System Settings> multimedia
> the number of entries under phonon is the highest I have ever seen:
> M Audio Audiophile 24/96 (ICE 1712 multi) (this one is shaded grey)
> default (highlighted)
> default (shaded)
> M Audio Audiophile 24/96/, ICE1712 multi (IEC958 9S/PDIF) Digital Audio
> Output) (shaded)
> M Audio Audiophile 24/96 (ICE 1712 multi) (highlighted)
>
>
> The one time I had sound I also had hw:0.0 but with fewer entries in the
> list above.
> I also disabled the onboard card in the bios.
> But I still get system notifications sounds.
> Thanks,
> zoran
>
> ]$ pulseaudio -k
> E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon: No such process
> ]$ pulseaudio -vv
> I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
> I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
> D: core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
> D: core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
> I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
> I: main.c: This is PulseAudio 0.9.22
> D: main.c: Compilation host: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
> D: main.c: Compilation CFLAGS: -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
> -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
> --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -Wall -W -Wextra -pipe
> -Wno-long-long -Winline -Wvla -Wno-overlength-strings
> -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op
> -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs
> -Wformat-nonliteral -Wold-style-definition -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations
> -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align
> -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math
> -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option
> D: main.c: Running on host: Linux x86_64 2.6.38.8-35.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP
> Wed Jul 6 13:58:54 UTC 2011
> D: main.c: Found 2 CPUs.
> I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
> D: main.c: Compiled with Valgrind support: no
> D: main.c: Running in valgrind mode: no
> D: main.c: Running in VM: no
> D: main.c: Optimized build: yes
> D: main.c: All asserts enabled.
> I: main.c: Machine ID is 86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b.
> I: main.c: Session ID is
> 86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-1311138627.160660-2001006301.
> I: main.c: Using runtime directory
> /home/zoran/.pulse/86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-runtime.
> I: main.c: Using state directory /home/zoran/.pulse.
> I: main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib64/pulse-0.9.22/modules.
> I: main.c: Running in system mode: no
> I: main.c: Fresh high-resolution timers available! Bon appetit!
> I: cpu-x86.c: CPU flags: CMOV MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4_1
> I: svolume_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized functions.
> I: remap_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized remappers.
> I: svolume_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized functions.
> I: remap_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized remappers.
> I: sconv_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized conversions.
> D: memblock.c: Using shared memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64.0 KiB
> each, total size is 64.0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65472
> D: database-tdb.c: Opened TDB database
> '/home/zoran/.pulse/86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-device-volumes.tdb'
> I: module-device-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file
> '/home/zoran/.pulse/86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-device-volumes'.
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0; argument: "").
> D: database-tdb.c: Opened TDB database
> '/home/zoran/.pulse/86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-stream-volumes.tdb'
> I: module-stream-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file
> '/home/zoran/.pulse/86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-stream-volumes'.
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-stream-restore" (index: #1; argument: "").
> D: database-tdb.c: Opened TDB database
> '/home/zoran/.pulse/86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-card-database.tdb'
> I: module-card-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file
> '/home/zoran/.pulse/86c1ac94fcf18f447a094d650000000b-card-database'.
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-card-restore" (index: #2; argument: "").
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-augment-properties" (index: #3; argument: "").
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying hw:1,0 with SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
> I: (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: Invalid value for card
> I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:1,0: No such file or directory
> E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-source" (argument:
> "device=hw:1,0"): initialization failed.
> E: main.c: Module load failed.
> E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
> I: module.c: Unloading "module-device-restore" (index: #0).
> I: module.c: Unloaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0).
> D: core-subscribe.c: Dropped redundant event due to remove event.
> I: module.c: Unloading "module-stream-restore" (index: #1).
> I: module.c: Unloaded "module-stream-restore" (index: #1).
> D: core-subscribe.c: Dropped redundant event due to remove event.
> I: module.c: Unloading "module-card-restore" (index: #2).
> I: module.c: Unloaded "module-card-restore" (index: #2).
> D: core-subscribe.c: Dropped redundant event due to remove event.
> I: module.c: Unloading "module-augment-properties" (index: #3).
> I: module.c: Unloaded "module-augment-properties" (index: #3).
> D: core-subscribe.c: Dropped redundant event due to remove event.
> I: main.c: Daemon terminated.
>
>
>
> On 07/19/2011 07:45 PM, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
>> Brendan, thanks for your suggestions.
>> Unfortunately, none worked.
>> But I made some progress today.
>> I reinstalled pulseaudio and alsa-pulse-plugin, uncommented
>> the line
>> //#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0//
>> in// /etc/pulse/default.pa//
>> and I got sound on firefox/flash.
>> The trouble began when I tried to play video with one of the video
>> players.
>> Xine crashed on start. Vlc played video but I got no sound.
>> I think pulseaudio got killed and I can not restart it any more.
>> When I try to restart pulseaudio this is what I get:
>> $ pulseaudio --start
>> E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.
>>
>> Even when the sounfd in firefox worked I still got
>> the warning message below on boot.
>> Any further suggestions?
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>>
>> On 19/07/11 14:33, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
>>> / Actually on boot I get the following message before I start any
>> />/ applications:
>> />/
>> />/ KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
>> />/
>> />/ *Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?*
>> />/
>> />/ This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
>> />/
>> />/ *
>> />/
>> />/ Capture: Default
>> />/
>> />/ *
>> />/
>> />/ Output: Default
>> />/
>> />/ *
>> />/
>> />/ Output: M Audio Audiophile 24/96, ICE1712 multi (IEC958
>> (S/PDIF)
>> />/ Digital Audio Output
>> />/
>> />/
>> />/
>> />/ Only once I was able to get any sound from any audio/video
>> applications
>> />/ when I uncommented the line in /etc/pulse/default.pa
>> />/
>> />/ #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
>> />/
>> />/ This was when pulseaudio was installed.
>> />/ Then the sound went away and I have not been able to recover it.
>> />/
>> />/ Thanks,
>> />/ Zoran
>> />/
>> />/
>> />/
>> /You can try the steps below. Also try look here:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems and
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SoundTroubleshooting
>>
>> Determine your sound card:
>>
>> ~ $cat /proc/asound/cards
>> 0 [UA25EX ]: USB-Audio - UA-25EX
>> EDIROL UA-25EX at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2, full speed
>> 1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
>> HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf600000 irq 22
>> 2 [mini ]: USB-Audio - MPK mini
>> AKAI PROFESSIONAL,LP MPK mini at
>> usb-0000:03:00.0-1, full speed
>>
>> In the setup of qjackctl in interface instead of hw:0 hw:1 etc use the
>> value in brackets above. In my case hw:UA25EX
>>
>> yum install alsa-plugins-jack and create the following file ~/.asoundrc.
>> Set card 0 to whatever number your card has been given above.
>>
>>
>> ~ $cat .asoundrc
>> ctl.!default {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>>
>> }
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>> type plug
>> slave { pcm "jack" }
>>
>> }
>>
>> pcm.jack {
>> type jack
>> playback_ports {
>> 0 systemlayback_1
>> 1 systemlayback_2
>> }
>> capture_ports {
>> 0 system:capture_1
>> 1 system:capture_2
>> }
>>
>> }
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> * Previous message: jack audio kit
>> <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-July/401919.html>
>> * *Messages sorted by:* [ date ]
>> <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-July/date.html#401920>
>> [ thread ]
>> <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-July/thread.html#401920>
>> [ subject ]
>> <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-July/subject.html#401920>
>> [ author ]
>> <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-July/author.html#401920>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> More information about the users mailing list
>> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
>

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Zoran Spasojevic
 
Default jack audio kit

I actually uninstalled pulseaudio (not the libs).
If it were installed, how would I turn it off?
Taanks,
zoran
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Elliott Chapin
 
Default jack audio kit

Just waiting for the smoke to clear. The problems skyrocketed with F15

and waiting to try out my favourite iForth/fJACK now that I'm on 64-bit.

--
http://clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Brendan Jones
 
Default jack audio kit

On 20/07/11 16:05, Zoran Spasojevic wrote:
> Brandon,
> I get an enormous output when I execute
> pulseaudio -vv the steps you suggested.
> I tried to send the message twice and it is not getting to the list.
> If you have another email I can send it there.
> Thanks,
> Zoran

File a bug and attach it there.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org