Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default Application names -

I checked to make certain the HP scanner would work with F-15.
It works as expected once xsane is installed. I looked in the
menu and couldn't find xsane, not that it matters, I have always
started it from the command line out of habit.

It took me a few seconds to try "Scanner Tool" which brings up
xsane. I would prefer to change such listings to the true
application names that I recognize, in this case xsane rather
than Scanner Tool. Is there a file I can fix that in?

Bob

Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Joe Zeff

On 07/16/2011 04:11 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I would prefer to change such listings to the true
> application names that I recognize, in this case xsane rather
> than Scanner Tool. Is there a file I can fix that in?

You didn't specify, but I'll presume you're using Gnome. The menu
editor is alacarte and you should find it under System->Preferences. If
it's not there, it's easy to install. Once you have it, you can change
the name in the menu to whatever you want.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:07 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 16/07/11 19:25, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 07/16/2011 04:11 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I would prefer to change such listings to the true
>> application names that I recognize, in this case xsane rather
>> than Scanner Tool. Is there a file I can fix that in?
> You didn't specify, but I'll presume you're using Gnome. The menu
> editor is alacarte and you should find it under System->Preferences. If
> it's not there, it's easy to install. Once you have it, you can change
> the name in the menu to whatever you want.

To avoid confusion I intentionally left that out. I have used
XFCE for a long time but alacarte was what I wanted. I had to
yum install it. It makes changing those application names in the
menu simple.

Thanks for the tip.

Bob