Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Default An elementary question on LANs

On 07/16/2011 07:03 PM, Digimer wrote:
<>

> I think g was talking about some corolation between the network card's
> physical location on the motherboard and the 'ethX' name.

correct.

> Until recently, there was no reliable way to determine this. In the most
> recent Fedora 15, an attempt is made to provide a mapping. This method
> mostly does away with the traditional 'ethX' naming though.

and hopefully, in future it will be worked out.

<>

>> I don't see how this differs from the previous question.
>
> I don't either.

bingo.

see my reply to same your reply is to.

<>

> This may or may not help;
>
> http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/DHCP_on_an_RPM-based_OS

either way, it is a good and informative read. in fact, from looking at
your index page, there is a lot of good info at your site.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Timothy Murphy

Reindl Harald wrote:

> this here is dhcpd under Fedora 15 and works the same way
> like 10 years ago - i guess you did not realize that
> "dhcpd.conf" is in recent releases located under
> "/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf" and not directly in /etc/
> and playing the whole time with a ignored config-file

Thank you very much.
That was indeed my problem.
All the changes I made to /etc/dhcpd.conf were completely ignored,
and the complaints from dhcpd referred to the empty /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
which I did not realise existed.

Now I have transferred /etc/dhcpd.conf to /etc/dhcp/
dhcpd is starting without complaint,
and I can run CentOS-6 on my home servers.

I guess I learned quite a lot from this fiasco ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net