Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Maurizio Marini

Default syslog daemon facilty

One of the first thing u note coming from debian, is that tailing for
daemon doesn't tail anything
I wonder why redhat never used /var/log/daemon.log ad syslog daemon
facility; this is not an issue of course, i add it, this is only an historical
question

m.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Maurizio Marini

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:27:21 -0600
Santiago Enrique Lemus Martínez <esdumbo2003@gmail.com> wrote:

> use
> tail /var/log/messages

yes, I konw, I can let daemon facilty logging on messages or add it tolog on
daemon.log; my question is: why to not have daemon syslogging on a different
file like on debian distro families?
This is an RFE and should be files on bugzilla as such, IMHO.
thnx, anyway )

m.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 07:55 +0200, Maurizio Marini wrote:
> why to not have daemon syslogging on a different file like on debian
> distro families?

Do you mean differently than:

The SMTP server having its own log file
The HTTP server having its own log file
The DHCP server having its own log file

/var/log/messages is the generic leftovers destination.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Maurizio Marini

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:19:46 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 07:55 +0200, Maurizio Marini wrote:
> > why to not have daemon syslogging on a different file like on debian
> > distro families?
>
> Do you mean differently than:
>
> The SMTP server having its own log file
> The HTTP server having its own log file
> The DHCP server having its own log file
>
> /var/log/messages is the generic leftovers destination.

i mean, very simply, that out of the box rsyslog.conf should be:

Code:
# Log anything (except mail and daemon) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;daemon.none                /var/log/messages

# Log daemon stuff
daemon.*								/var/log/daemon.log

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
and debian should add

Code:
# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron
this is a very personal point of view, of course

m.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 17.07.2011 14:34, schrieb Maurizio Marini:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:19:46 +0930
> Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 07:55 +0200, Maurizio Marini wrote:
>>> why to not have daemon syslogging on a different file like on debian
>>> distro families?
>>
>> Do you mean differently than:
>>
>> The SMTP server having its own log file
>> The HTTP server having its own log file
>> The DHCP server having its own log file
>>
>> /var/log/messages is the generic leftovers destination.
>>
> i mean, very simply, that out of the box rsyslog.conf should be:

Code:
> # Log anything (except mail and daemon) of level info or higher.
> # Don't log private authentication messages!
> *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;daemon.none                /var/log/messages
>
> # Log daemon stuff
> daemon.*								/var/log/daemon.log                                              /var/log/secure
>
> this is a very personal point of view, of course

do you really want to look in two logfiles permanently?
i don't and have even php-errors in /var/log/messages