Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   syslog daemon facilty (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/553126-syslog-daemon-facilty.html)

Maurizio Marini 07-16-2011 01:05 PM

syslog daemon facilty
 
One of the first thing u note coming from debian, is that tailing for
daemon doesn't tail anything :)
I wonder why redhat never used /var/log/daemon.log ad syslog daemon
facility; this is not an issue of course, i add it, this is only an historical
question :)

m.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Maurizio Marini 07-17-2011 05:55 AM

syslog daemon facilty
 
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:27:21 -0600
Santiago Enrique Lemus Martínez <esdumbo2003@gmail.com> wrote:

> use
> tail /var/log/messages

yes, I konw, I can let daemon facilty logging on messages or add it tolog on
daemon.log; my question is: why to not have daemon syslogging on a different
file like on debian distro families?
This is an RFE and should be files on bugzilla as such, IMHO.
thnx, anyway )

m.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Tim 07-17-2011 09:49 AM

syslog daemon facilty
 
On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 07:55 +0200, Maurizio Marini wrote:
> why to not have daemon syslogging on a different file like on debian
> distro families?

Do you mean differently than:

The SMTP server having its own log file
The HTTP server having its own log file
The DHCP server having its own log file
...

/var/log/messages is the generic leftovers destination.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Maurizio Marini 07-17-2011 12:34 PM

syslog daemon facilty
 
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:19:46 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 07:55 +0200, Maurizio Marini wrote:
> > why to not have daemon syslogging on a different file like on debian
> > distro families?
>
> Do you mean differently than:
>
> The SMTP server having its own log file
> The HTTP server having its own log file
> The DHCP server having its own log file
> ...
>
> /var/log/messages is the generic leftovers destination.
>
i mean, very simply, that out of the box rsyslog.conf should be:

Code:

# Log anything (except mail and daemon) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;daemon.none                /var/log/messages

# Log daemon stuff
daemon.*                                                                /var/log/daemon.log

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

and debian should add

Code:

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

this is a very personal point of view, of course ;)


m.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Reindl Harald 07-17-2011 01:20 PM

syslog daemon facilty
 
Am 17.07.2011 14:34, schrieb Maurizio Marini:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:19:46 +0930
> Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 07:55 +0200, Maurizio Marini wrote:
>>> why to not have daemon syslogging on a different file like on debian
>>> distro families?
>>
>> Do you mean differently than:
>>
>> The SMTP server having its own log file
>> The HTTP server having its own log file
>> The DHCP server having its own log file
>> ...
>>
>> /var/log/messages is the generic leftovers destination.
>>
> i mean, very simply, that out of the box rsyslog.conf should be:
>
>
Code:

> # Log anything (except mail and daemon) of level info or higher.
> # Don't log private authentication messages!
> *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;daemon.none                /var/log/messages
>
> # Log daemon stuff
> daemon.*                                                                /var/log/daemon.log                                              /var/log/secure
>

> this is a very personal point of view, of course ;)

do you really want to look in two logfiles permanently?
i don't and have even php-errors in /var/log/messages

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.