-   -   NM_CONTROLLED=no not working (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/553001-nm_controlled-no-not-working.html)

Tom Horsley 07-15-2011 11:34 PM

NM_CONTROLLED=no not working

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:10:38 -0300
Ian Pilcher wrote:

> On 07/15/2011 05:58 PM, Tom H wrote:
> > Does NM ignore it if you add "ONBOOT=yes"? (Or "ONBOOT=no" if you want
> > to bring it up manually.)
>
> Nope. (I actually had ONBOOT=no in there. I took it out in hopes that
> would help.)

I had same problem and simply turned off NetworkManager. I wanted to
use wlan0 as an access point (with hostapd), not a wi-fi client, but
every time I plugged in the USB dongle, NM would come along and grab
it and interfere with my hostapd setup.

I have never yet been able to leave NetworkManager enabled on any
of my systems. It always winds up screwing up something, and it
is vastly simpler to fix the problems by turning it off and
going back to network.

Rick Sewill 07-16-2011 01:14 AM

On Friday, July 15, 2011 02:48:53 PM Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I feel like I'm losing my mind. Can someone confirm that this is
> supposed to work before I bugzilla this?
>
> I am trying to get NetworkManager to ignore my wireless adapter (while
> still managing my Ethernet adapter and VPN connections). I have created
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0:
>
> DEVICE=wlan0
> TYPE=Wireless
> HWADDR=00:23:14:12:C1:38
> NM_CONTROLLED=no

Does the following work?
NM_CONTROLLED="no"

Rick Sewill 07-16-2011 05:11 AM

On Friday, July 15, 2011 08:14:43 PM Rick Sewill wrote:
> On Friday, July 15, 2011 02:48:53 PM Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > I feel like I'm losing my mind. Can someone confirm that this is
> > supposed to work before I bugzilla this?
> >
> > I am trying to get NetworkManager to ignore my wireless adapter (while
> > still managing my Ethernet adapter and VPN connections). I have created
> >
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0:
> > DEVICE=wlan0
> > TYPE=Wireless
> > HWADDR=00:23:14:12:C1:38
> > NM_CONTROLLED=no
>
> Does the following work?
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"

It was a long shot if NM_CONTROLLED="no" works...documentation indicates
NM_CONTROLLED=no should work. I think what you have should work too....

Documentation says one must have the correct HWADDR address.
Looking at your followup emails, it appears you have the correct HWADDR
address. Another long shot...documentation suggests you can have
HWADDR=00:23:14:12:C1:38 as you have...but as an experiment,
please put quotes around the MAC address
HWADDR="00:23:14:12:C1:38"

Why am I asking for quotes around things? I'm not sure how NetworkManager
"reads" ifcfg-wlan0. It may have internal routines for reading the file -or-
it may use a shell (like the bash shell) to read ifcfg-wlan0.
I believe the non-NetworkManager network has scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts that use the bash shell to read ifcfg-wlan0.
I am trying to guess what syntax might make NetworkManager and
non-NetworkManager happy. To tell the truth, what you have should work.
I just want to rule out this possibility.

Another line of questions.
What is in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf?
I have the following:
rsewill@rsewill:~ <3:1> $ more /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[main]
plugins=ifcfg-rh
According to the documentation, man NetworkManager.conf,
on a Redhat/Fedora system, one might have plugins=ifcfg-rh and/or keyfile
If one has both, the order the plugins are listed matters.
For example, do you have plugins=ifcfg-rh -or- plugins=keyfile
-or- plugins=ifcfg-rh,keyfile -or- plugins=keyfile,ifcfg-rh?
Ideally you will say you have plugins=ifcfg-rh and we still won't have an idea
what is wrong. It's a possibility that needs to be ruled out.