Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default An elementary question on LANs

What exactly sets up the correspondence between interfaces and LANs,
eg (in my case) eth1 <-> 192.168.2.0 ?

I don't see any file in /etc/sysconfig , say,
where this is specified.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Digimer

On 07/15/2011 03:00 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What exactly sets up the correspondence between interfaces and LANs,
> eg (in my case) eth1 <-> 192.168.2.0 ?
>
> I don't see any file in /etc/sysconfig , say,
> where this is specified.

It's mapped using 'HWADDR' in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX and/or in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL 6_and_Fedora_12%2B

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/15/2011 03:09 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 03:00 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> What exactly sets up the correspondence between interfaces and LANs,
>> eg (in my case) eth1 <-> 192.168.2.0 ?
>>
>> I don't see any file in /etc/sysconfig , say,
>> where this is specified.
>
> It's mapped using 'HWADDR' in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX and/or in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

And in some machines (if not changed elsewhere somehow) biosdevname
may be used - I believe it is now included in F15 ...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

gene

Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Timothy Murphy

Digimer wrote:

>> What exactly sets up the correspondence between interfaces and LANs,
>> eg (in my case) eth1 <-> 192.168.2.0 ?
>>
>> I don't see any file in /etc/sysconfig , say,
>> where this is specified.
>
> It's mapped using 'HWADDR' in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX and/or in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

As far as I can see, 70-persistent-net.rules just maps
each MAC address on a machine to an interface,
as also does ifcfg-ethX .

Neither seems to me to associate an interface, say eth1,
to a LAN, say 192.168.2.0 .

http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL 6_and_Fedora_12%2B

I'll study that, thanks.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:19 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 07-16-2011, 03:07 PM

On 07/16/2011 01:19 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
<>

> Guys, he wants to know where the IP address is set, not what
> determines what interface is eth1.

another good guess. and nothing wrong with it either.

but, before any answers are presented, clarification should be made.

so, to op, Timothy Murphy,

do you wish to know;

1- what determines mapping of nic [network interface card/chipset] to an
ip address?

2- what determines mapping of nic [network interface card/chipset] to an
ethx position?

3- what determines order of mapping of nic [network interface card/chipset]
to an ip address?

4- what determines order of mapping of nic [network interface card/chipset]
to an ethx position?

5- none of above?

which ever it is,

http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL 6_and_Fedora_12%2B