Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM
james tate

Default Getting Thunderbird to open Links in Email

FC15

How do I get thunderbird to select Firefox when opening links in Emails.

When clicking on Links in Emails nothing is happening.

I can't find in Thunderbird Preferences a way to select Firefox.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 14:13 -0400, james tate wrote:
> FC15
>
> How do I get thunderbird to select Firefox when opening links in Emails.
>
> When clicking on Links in Emails nothing is happening.
>
> I can't find in Thunderbird Preferences a way to select Firefox.

It's not a Thunderbird preference, it's a desktop preference. If you use
Gnome, look under the settings panel. If on KDE you still have to use
the Gnome settings since TBird is a Gnome app. In that case, run
gnome-control-panel from the Shell and look for Preferred Applications.

poc

Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 PM
james tate

> On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 14:13 -0400, james tate wrote:
>> FC15
>>
>> How do I get thunderbird to select Firefox when opening links in Emails.
>>
>> When clicking on Links in Emails nothing is happening.
>>
>> I can't find in Thunderbird Preferences a way to select Firefox.
> It's not a Thunderbird preference, it's a desktop preference. If you use
> Gnome, look under the settings panel. If on KDE you still have to use
> the Gnome settings since TBird is a Gnome app. In that case, run
> gnome-control-panel from the Shell and look for Preferred Applications.
>
> poc

In KDE it's Settings/Default Applications/Web Browser and my is set to
firefox,
but it still won't open and use Firefox.

There is a execute file in /usr/bin/firefox

Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
james tate

> On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 14:13 -0400, james tate wrote:
>> FC15
>>
>> How do I get thunderbird to select Firefox when opening links in Emails.
>>
>> When clicking on Links in Emails nothing is happening.
>>
>> I can't find in Thunderbird Preferences a way to select Firefox.
> It's not a Thunderbird preference, it's a desktop preference. If you use
> Gnome, look under the settings panel. If on KDE you still have to use
> the Gnome settings since TBird is a Gnome app. In that case, run
> gnome-control-panel from the Shell and look for Preferred Applications.
>
> poc

Patrick I can't find gnome-control-panel in the fc15 repos.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 15:31 -0400, james tate wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 02:49 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 14:13 -0400, james tate wrote:
> >> FC15
> >>
> >> How do I get thunderbird to select Firefox when opening links in Emails.
> >>
> >> When clicking on Links in Emails nothing is happening.
> >>
> >> I can't find in Thunderbird Preferences a way to select Firefox.
> > It's not a Thunderbird preference, it's a desktop preference. If you use
> > Gnome, look under the settings panel. If on KDE you still have to use
> > the Gnome settings since TBird is a Gnome app. In that case, run
> > gnome-control-panel from the Shell and look for Preferred Applications.
> >
> > poc
> >
> Patrick I can't find gnome-control-panel in the fc15 repos.

It's gnome-control-center. Sorry, I keep getting that wrong.

poc

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 15:10 -0400, james tate wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 02:49 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 14:13 -0400, james tate wrote:
> >> FC15
> >>
> >> How do I get thunderbird to select Firefox when opening links in Emails.
> >>
> >> When clicking on Links in Emails nothing is happening.
> >>
> >> I can't find in Thunderbird Preferences a way to select Firefox.
> > It's not a Thunderbird preference, it's a desktop preference. If you use
> > Gnome, look under the settings panel. If on KDE you still have to use
> > the Gnome settings since TBird is a Gnome app. In that case, run
> > gnome-control-panel from the Shell and look for Preferred Applications.
> >
> > poc
> >
> In KDE it's Settings/Default Applications/Web Browser and my is set to
> firefox,
> but it still won't open and use Firefox.
>
> There is a execute file in /usr/bin/firefox

To repeat: TBird is a *Gnome* app. It doesn't care about KDE settings.
Stupid but true.

poc

Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 PM
james tate

> On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 15:31 -0400, james tate wrote:

>>> It's not a Thunderbird preference, it's a desktop preference. If you use
>>> Gnome, look under the settings panel. If on KDE you still have to use
>>> the Gnome settings since TBird is a Gnome app. In that case, run
>>> gnome-control-panel from the Shell and look for Preferred Applications.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>
>> Patrick I can't find gnome-control-panel in the fc15 repos.
> It's gnome-control-center. Sorry, I keep getting that wrong.
>
> poc

Thanks for the help Patrick.
Ran gnome-control-center, and under /System/System Info/Default
Applications I made the changes and it is working normal in Thunderbird
now.