Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Genes MailLists

Default Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8? => choosing the fedora desktop

On 07/14/2011 03:53 PM, James McKenzie wrote:

> Gnome 2 is now offically dead

Fine i agree whole heartedly .. that leaves ..

> Now, back to what I said earlier. YOU, the Linux user, have a CHOICE
> of desktop/window managers. YOU should avail yourself of this

Ok then - so then the debate here should not be about gnome 3 missing
features - we all agree - that should be an upstream discussion.

The discussion should turn to what the default desktop should be - in
the past it was gnome 2 - gnome 2 is dead and we now have 4 desktop
managers to choose among (gnome 3 being just one).

So - lets choose the default desktop manager for fedora from among:

Gnome 3
KDE
XFCE
LXDE
? Other?

How do we go about changing from gnome 2 to one of the above- since
gnome 3 is not gnome 2 it should be on equal footing from above list -
should this be by a vote on a website - discussion - fesco - what?

What is the best mechanism for the fedora community to choose the
default desktop?

May the best desktop win :-)

Old 07-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:53:57 +0900
夜神 岩男 wrote:

> but the underlying base is so
> solid and logical that people who are really familiar with it are just
> enduring the arguments for now while they prepare Good Things. I
> consider this to be fairly likely

Really, Can I sell you some swampland? :-)

Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Steve Lindemann

Genes MailLists wrote:
> So - lets choose the default desktop manager for fedora from among:
>
> Gnome 3
> KDE
> XFCE
> LXDE
> ? Other?

...so, if we actually get a vote that counts, I'd say XFCE.

Of course, this is *my* personal opinion. There were technical choices
the Gnome team made that I have never been happy with, but until v3 the
interface worked the way I wanted so I used it and now it doesn't so I
don't. I am now looking at the other desktops and so far XFCE come
closest *my* preferences. Pick what you like, vote with your keyboard.

...new is not always better
...except when it is 8^/
...this time it wasn't 8^(
--