FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Software update has bugs

Under KDM I asked for software updates and got an option called Get and
Remove Software. I ran it and chose to add the Content group. I was
shown the three documents I could add. One on Python, one on Java and
one on Linux drivers. I chose to install the first and third. Processing
started until I was told another dependency must be installed. I said
continue and the system asked me for a passwd authorization. I entered
the only passwds that seemed possibly relevant and both were rejected

Ok, I started again . At the place where it asked me for a passwd
previously it stated that I had not entered an authorizing passwd and
quit. So I could not proceed further.

I tried to use Gnome to do the same thing. When I searched for Get or
Remove .. the only relevant application I was shown was KPackageKit.
When I ran that I was given the option to Get and Remove Software, which
I ran, entered the passwd which should work and it did.

Now I pressed my luck and ran another option called Software Update.
Which attempted it said to find updates but failed. The same option
under KVM also failed.

However, in Gnome under Software Tools the Software Update application
succeeds.

Have other people fond the same bug or am I going crazy again?
--
================================================== =====================
You can't learn too soon that the most useful thing about a principle is
that it can always be sacrificed to expediency. -- W. Somerset Maugham,
"The Circle"
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 AM
John Wendel
 
Default Software update has bugs

On 07/14/2011 01:27 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Under KDM I asked for software updates and got an option called Get and
> Remove Software. I ran it and chose to add the Content group. I was
> shown the three documents I could add. One on Python, one on Java and
> one on Linux drivers. I chose to install the first and third. Processing
> started until I was told another dependency must be installed. I said
> continue and the system asked me for a passwd authorization. I entered
> the only passwds that seemed possibly relevant and both were rejected
>
> Ok, I started again . At the place where it asked me for a passwd
> previously it stated that I had not entered an authorizing passwd and
> quit. So I could not proceed further.
>
> I tried to use Gnome to do the same thing. When I searched for Get or
> Remove .. the only relevant application I was shown was KPackageKit.
> When I ran that I was given the option to Get and Remove Software, which
> I ran, entered the passwd which should work and it did.
>
> Now I pressed my luck and ran another option called Software Update.
> Which attempted it said to find updates but failed. The same option
> under KVM also failed.
>
> However, in Gnome under Software Tools the Software Update application
> succeeds.
>
> Have other people fond the same bug or am I going crazy again?

Same bad experience here. All these apps are just a layer of crap spread
over yum. Save yourself some pain and use yum directly.

Regards,

John

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Software update has bugs

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 20:05 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> On 07/14/2011 01:27 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Under KDM I asked for software updates and got an option called Get and
> > Remove Software. I ran it and chose to add the Content group. I was
> > shown the three documents I could add. One on Python, one on Java and
> > one on Linux drivers. I chose to install the first and third. Processing
> > started until I was told another dependency must be installed. I said
> > continue and the system asked me for a passwd authorization. I entered
> > the only passwds that seemed possibly relevant and both were rejected
> >
> > Ok, I started again . At the place where it asked me for a passwd
> > previously it stated that I had not entered an authorizing passwd and
> > quit. So I could not proceed further.
> >
> > I tried to use Gnome to do the same thing. When I searched for Get or
> > Remove .. the only relevant application I was shown was KPackageKit.
> > When I ran that I was given the option to Get and Remove Software, which
> > I ran, entered the passwd which should work and it did.
> >
> > Now I pressed my luck and ran another option called Software Update.
> > Which attempted it said to find updates but failed. The same option
> > under KVM also failed.
> >
> > However, in Gnome under Software Tools the Software Update application
> > succeeds.
> >
> > Have other people fond the same bug or am I going crazy again?
>
> Same bad experience here. All these apps are just a layer of crap spread
> over yum. Save yourself some pain and use yum directly.
>
> Regards,
>
> John
>

I agree with your philosophy. But this all is supposed to be the desktop
of our future. So at least even it is screwy it is supposed to work. Do
these applications work for the rest of you? If they do why am I having
such trouble using them.

I also apologize for calling KDE two separate incorrect names.
--
================================================== =====================
"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
vacuum." --Arthur C. Clarke
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"
 
Default Software update has bugs

On 07/14/2011 09:27 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> continue and the system asked me for a passwd authorization. I entered
> the only passwds that seemed possibly relevant and both were rejected

What password did it _ask_ for? Depending on what you're trying to do PolicyKit
(the component that handles authorisation for the updater services) may ask for
either the user password or the administrator (root) password.

I had a problem early on on f15 in gnome where polkit-gnome seemed to want the
password for a user other than the one logged into the graphical desktop but
this seemed to go away with updates.

Anyway, if the problem is reproducible with up-to-date packages it sounds like a
bug.

> I tried to use Gnome to do the same thing. When I searched for Get or
> Remove .. the only relevant application I was shown was KPackageKit.

KPackageKit is the KDE interface for PackageKit. The Gnome equivalents are in
the System section of the menu and are labelled "Add/Remove Software" and
"Software Update".

> Now I pressed my luck and ran another option called Software Update.
> Which attempted it said to find updates but failed. The same option
> under KVM also failed.

It's hard to say without knowing specific error messages but you could try
searching in bugzilla or via google for the specific messages that you saw.

Regards,
Bryn.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-16-2011, 03:25 PM
nomnex
 
Default Software update has bugs

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:05:35 -0700
John Wendel <jwendel10@comcast.net> wrote:

> Same bad experience here. All these apps are just a layer of crap
> spread over yum. Save yourself some pain and use yum directly.

I like the Yum extender project. It is not a layer of crap.

https://fedorahosted.org/yumex/

--
nomnex <nomnex@gmail.com>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 PM
John Wendel
 
Default Software update has bugs

On 07/16/2011 08:25 AM, nomnex wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:05:35 -0700
> John Wendel<jwendel10@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Same bad experience here. All these apps are just a layer of crap
>> spread over yum. Save yourself some pain and use yum directly.
> I like the Yum extender project. It is not a layer of crap.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/yumex/
>

Well, I loaded yumex and poked at it. I have to agree, it looks like a
well crafted, useful tool. I think I'll keep it.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

John

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org