Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Tod Thomas

Default FC14, sleeping forever

I've got a virtual FC14 image running under virtual box on a win7 laptop.* Something hung it up yesterday and I had to hard boot* the image.* Now when I try and restart it progresses to a point of almost completing and stops with the message "No root device found.* Boot has failed, sleeping forever.

I have a feeling I've hosed my boot partition or I've somehow confused grub.* Has anybody run into this that might have a quick solution?* I've only got the virtualbox image to work with, no snapshots or backups

Thanks - Tod

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Hugh Caley

FC14, sleeping forever

Tod Thomas <fr33zone@gmail.com>

06:07 AM

Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

I've got a virtual FC14 image running under virtual box on a win7
laptop.* Something hung it up yesterday and I had to hard boot*
the image.* Now when I try and restart it progresses to a point of
almost completing and stops with the message "No root device
found.* Boot has failed, sleeping forever.

I have a feeling I've hosed my boot partition or I've somehow
confused grub.* Has anybody run into this that might have a quick
solution?* I've only got the virtualbox image to work with, no
snapshots or backups

Thanks - Tod

You'll need to boot the VM off of a rescue disk; the Fedora 14
install disk will do it.* Then you can try fscking your boot disk,
and if that doesn't fix it you can run grub-install per the rescue
instructions (available online).* If THAT doesn't work, you'll
probably need to reinstall.* I personally don't know of any easier
way to do it; it's almost certainly one of 2 things:

1. your grub installation is messed up (so it can't find your root
disk)

2. your root disk is messed up

Hugh

--

Hugh Caley

Linux System Administrator

Aldon Business Area

Rocket Software

6001 Shellmound St. Ste. 600 Emeryville, CA 94608 USA

Tel:+1.510.285.8542

Email:hcaley@aldon.com

Web:aldon.com

Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Tod Thomas

On 07/14/2011 04:15 PM, Hugh Caley wrote:

Subject:
FC14, sleeping forever

From:
Tod Thomas <fr33zone@gmail.com>

Date:
06:07 AM

To:
[...]

Thanks Hugh, that did the trick.* I booted up in rescue mode and
fsck'ed the root partition and rebooted just fine.