-   -   Can't send email (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/552243-cant-send-email.html)

Vincent Onelli 07-13-2011 11:35 PM

Can't send email

Hello,
I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping at asking for password because can't authenticate.
The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked several times, I also redone the set up few times. The OS is F15
any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.

Reindl Harald 07-13-2011 11:41 PM

Can't send email

Am 14.07.2011 01:35, schrieb Vincent Onelli:
> I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping at asking
> for password because can't authenticate

is the password correct?

> The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked several times
> I also redone the set up few times

sure that you are using the same MUA and same authentication methods?
ssl settings (STARTTLS or SSL on Port 465) are the same?

> The OS is F15

the OS version is not relevant
what is relevant is what MUA you are using (Thunderbird, Evolution, Kmail..)

Patrick O'Callaghan 07-14-2011 02:49 AM

Can't send email

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 16:35 -0700, Vincent Onelli wrote:
> Hello,
> I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping at asking
> for password because can't authenticate.
> The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked several times, I
> also redone the set up few times. The OS is F15
> any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.

You need to give at least *some* information about your setup if you
want a useful answer. At a bare minimum: are you seeing the problem with
sendmail or with some mail client, and if so which one? Also, what
authentication methods does the SMTP server support? Note that sending
and receiving mail are two different things, and the fact that one works
doesn't necessarily mean anything to the other.

poc

james tate 07-15-2011 06:23 PM

Can't send email

I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending
keeping at asking for password because can't authenticate.

The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I
rechecked several times, I also redone the set up few times.
The OS is F15

any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.

Are you using Thunderbird to send mail ?

I find when you send a email a window will open for your email
password and it is is hidden down behind any open window where you
can't see it, and your email won't send until your SMTP gets it's
email password.

Joe Zeff 07-15-2011 07:14 PM

Can't send email

On 07/13/2011 04:41 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> sure that you are using the same MUA and same authentication methods?
> ssl settings (STARTTLS or SSL on Port 465) are the same?

You might (as I do) have to use SMTPAUTH on Port 587.

james tate 07-15-2011 07:18 PM

Can't send email

On 07/15/2011 03:14 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 04:41 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> sure that you are using the same MUA and same authentication methods?
>> ssl settings (STARTTLS or SSL on Port 465) are the same?
> You might (as I do) have to use SMTPAUTH on Port 587.
Joe, what is the exact command I would have to use ?

Vinny 07-15-2011 09:34 PM

Can't send email

From: james tate <binarynut@comcast.net>

On 07/13/2011 07:35 PM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping
> > at asking for password because can't authenticate.
> > The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked
> > several times, I also redone the set up few times. The OS is F15
> > any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.
> Are you using Thunderbird to send mail ?
>
> I find when you send a email a window will open for your email password
> and it is is hidden down behind any open window where you can't see it,
> and your email won't send until your SMTP gets it's email password.
> -----------------------------

I do get window that ask for password, and I enter password, then a second
window appears "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
Bad authentication response from server"

I am sending this email from the same computer using Kmail, however, I would
like to go back to Evolution if it can be fixed.

Reindl Harald 07-15-2011 09:39 PM

Can't send email

Am 15.07.2011 23:34, schrieb Vinny:
> From: james tate <binarynut@comcast.net>
>>
> On 07/13/2011 07:35 PM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping
>>> at asking for password because can't authenticate.
>>> The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked
>>> several times, I also redone the set up few times. The OS is F15
>>> any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.
>> Are you using Thunderbird to send mail ?
>>
>> I find when you send a email a window will open for your email password
>> and it is is hidden down behind any open window where you can't see it,
>> and your email won't send until your SMTP gets it's email password.
>> -----------------------------
>>
> I do get window that ask for password, and I enter password, then a second
> window appears "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
> Bad authentication response from server"
>
> I am sending this email from the same computer using Kmail, however, I would
> like to go back to Evolution if it can be fixed

i owuld bet evolution is misconfigured and you should contect your
serveradmin because this is the only person who can look what
exactly happens

what auth-method are you using and what does you server support?
telnet you-smtp 587

below a smtp-session to look what the server supports

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ telnet mail.thelounge.net 587
Trying 10.0.0.15...
Connected to mail.thelounge.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.thelounge.net hardened ESMTP
EHLO harry
250-mail.thelounge.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 36700160
250-VRFY
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 8BITMIME

Joe Zeff 07-15-2011 11:54 PM

Can't send email

On 07/15/2011 12:18 PM, james tate wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 03:14 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 07/13/2011 04:41 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> sure that you are using the same MUA and same authentication methods?
>>> ssl settings (STARTTLS or SSL on Port 465) are the same?
>> You might (as I do) have to use SMTPAUTH on Port 587.
> Joe, what is the exact command I would have to use ?

First, you check with your email provider to find out if the password is
sent insecurely or encrypted and make sure what port it's using. Then,
you go through Edit->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP) then
select your server and Edit. Change the Port Number to the one you were
told and set the various settings below it to match what you were told
then click OK. The first time you try to send, you'll get a pop-up box
to put in your password, and there should be a checkbox to Save it.

Joe Zeff 07-16-2011 12:00 AM

Can't send email

On 07/15/2011 02:34 PM, Vinny wrote:
> I do get window that ask for password, and I enter password, then a second
> window appears "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
> Bad authentication response from server"

Have you considered asking your email provider's tech support?