Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Default Can't send email

-----Original Message-----

I have been using Evolution under Gnome for a long time and under Gnome on my machine ....
<snip>

Very well, but the whole issue is about: using evolution under something else than Gnome.

hw

Old 07-18-2011, 02:58 PM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

> *This is exactly why (half) solutions like this are really bad. A well
> designed service should be a back end that works everywhere *- and allow
> front ends to be built (or shared) for different DE's.
>
> *In this regard, the wallet managers are a failure.
>
> *Network manager does it right - a daemon back end and a set of GUI's
> to partner with it. A decent key manager would be similar. There'd be a
> single API that apps can use - and the GUI's for user use the same API
> to communicate with it.
>
> *The idea of having a tool for a common task is a good one - the design
> implementation is flawed and suffers from NIH.
>
> *My view of course :-)

Similar criticism could be applied to chrome and its use of gnome
keyring or kwallet to store passwords? (I know that chrome is
proprietary - but presume that same applies to chromium?)

How many people had chrome working fine in their gnome desktop - and
then moved the profile to another machine with a KDE DE and then find
no passwords were present any more - there is a method to pull them
across but it would be oh so nice if copying the profile alone was
sufficient in this situation!
--
mike c

Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 18.07.2011 16:58, schrieb mike cloaked:
> Similar criticism could be applied to chrome and its use of gnome
> keyring or kwallet to store passwords? (I know that chrome is
> proprietary - but presume that same applies to chromium?)

why?

> How many people had chrome working fine in their gnome desktop - and
> then moved the profile to another machine with a KDE DE and then find
> no passwords were present any more - there is a method to pull them
> across but it would be oh so nice if copying the profile alone was
> sufficient in this situation!

it is not the fault of chrome using the native wallet of your desktop
and that this is not shared between desktops, chrome tries the
best for most users because i know nobody which switches from
kde to gnome or vice versa