FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Can't send email

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 17:34 -0400, Vinny wrote:
> From: james tate <binarynut@comcast.net>
> >
> On 07/13/2011 07:35 PM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping
> > > at asking for password because can't authenticate.
> > > The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked
> > > several times, I also redone the set up few times. The OS is F15
> > > any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.
> > Are you using Thunderbird to send mail ?
> >
> > I find when you send a email a window will open for your email password
> > and it is is hidden down behind any open window where you can't see it,
> > and your email won't send until your SMTP gets it's email password.
> > -----------------------------
> >
> I do get window that ask for password, and I enter password, then a second
> window appears "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
> Bad authentication response from server"
>
> I am sending this email from the same computer using Kmail, however, I would
> like to go back to Evolution if it can be fixed.

Evolution works for me. What needs to be fixed?
--
================================================== =====================
If you have a procedure with 10 parameters, you probably missed some.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
james tate
 
Default Can't send email

On 07/15/2011 05:34 PM, Vinny wrote:
> From: james tate<binarynut@comcast.net>
> On 07/13/2011 07:35 PM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping
>>> at asking for password because can't authenticate.
>>> The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked
>>> several times, I also redone the set up few times. The OS is F15
>>> any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.
>> Are you using Thunderbird to send mail ?
>>
>> I find when you send a email a window will open for your email password
>> and it is is hidden down behind any open window where you can't see it,
>> and your email won't send until your SMTP gets it's email password.
>> -----------------------------
>>
> I do get window that ask for password, and I enter password, then a second
> window appears "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
> Bad authentication response from server"
>
> I am sending this email from the same computer using Kmail, however, I would
> like to go back to Evolution if it can be fixed.
one of two things, your password is not correct or your account settings
is off. If you know your account settings compare with what you have in
kmail.

Last resort , Call your ISP and get correct settings.

example:

Server Name:
Port #:
Security and Authentication:
Username:


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-16-2011, 02:32 PM
suvayu ali
 
Default Can't send email

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 4:11 PM, james tate <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
> one of two things, your password is not correct or your account settings
> is off. If you know your account settings compare with what you have in
> kmail.

The OP didn't specify whether he was using Gnome or KDE. KMail uses
Kwallet I think, where as Evolution uses gnome-keyring. I would guess
the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Can't send email

On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 16:32 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 4:11 PM, james tate <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
> > one of two things, your password is not correct or your account settings
> > is off. If you know your account settings compare with what you have in
> > kmail.
>
> The OP didn't specify whether he was using Gnome or KDE. KMail uses
> Kwallet I think, where as Evolution uses gnome-keyring. I would guess
> the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.

I only ever use Evolution under KDE. It uses gnome-keyring just as it
does under Gnome. The only difference is that Evo prompts you for the
keyring password on starting up under a new session (just the first
time) as it doesn't get this info automatically from the login widget as
it does under Gnome.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 07:56 AM
 
Default Can't send email

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Patrick O'Callaghan
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:42 PM
To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: Can't send email

> The OP didn't specify whether he was using Gnome or KDE. KMail uses
> Kwallet I think, where as Evolution uses gnome-keyring. I would guess
> the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.

I only ever use Evolution under KDE. It uses gnome-keyring just as it does under Gnome. The only difference is that Evo prompts you for the keyring password on starting up under a new session (just the first
time) as it doesn't get this info automatically from the login widget as it does under Gnome.

poc

--
Seen that behaviour.

Any chance of changing that? I mean, that gnome-keyring picking up the proper credentials?

hw

__________________________________________________ ____________________
Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, wordt u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen. De Staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het elektronisch verzenden van berichten.

This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message. The State accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic transmission of messages.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default Can't send email

On 07/18/2011 03:56 AM, J.Witvliet@mindef.nl wrote:

>> the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.
>
> I only ever use Evolution under KDE. It uses gnome-keyring just as it does under Gnome. The only difference is that Evo prompts you for the keyring password on starting up under a new session (just the first
> time) as it doesn't get this info automatically from the login widget as it does under Gnome.
>
> poc
>
> --
> Seen that behaviour.
>
> Any chance of changing that? I mean, that gnome-keyring picking up the proper credentials?
>
> hw


This is exactly why (half) solutions like this are really bad. A well
designed service should be a back end that works everywhere - and allow
front ends to be built (or shared) for different DE's.

In this regard, the wallet managers are a failure.

Network manager does it right - a daemon back end and a set of GUI's
to partner with it. A decent key manager would be similar. There'd be a
single API that apps can use - and the GUI's for user use the same API
to communicate with it.

The idea of having a tool for a common task is a good one - the design
implementation is flawed and suffers from NIH.

My view of course :-)


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default Can't send email

On 07/18/2011 03:56 AM, J.Witvliet@mindef.nl wrote:

>> the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.
>
> I only ever use Evolution under KDE. It uses gnome-keyring just as it does under Gnome. The only difference is that Evo prompts you for the keyring password on starting up under a new session (just the first
> time) as it doesn't get this info automatically from the login widget as it does under Gnome.
>
> poc
>
> --
> Seen that behaviour.
>
> Any chance of changing that? I mean, that gnome-keyring picking up the proper credentials?
>
> hw


This is exactly why (half) solutions like this are really bad. A well
designed service should be a back end that works everywhere - and allow
front ends to be built (or shared) for different DE's.

In this regard, the wallet managers are a failure.

Network manager does it right - a daemon back end and a set of GUI's
to partner with it. A decent key manager would be similar. There'd be a
single API that apps can use - and the GUI's for user use the same API
to communicate with it.

The idea of having a tool for a common task is a good one - the design
implementation is flawed and suffers from NIH.

My view of course :-)


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Can't send email

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 07:47 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 07/18/2011 03:56 AM, J.Witvliet@mindef.nl wrote:
>
> >> the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.
> >
> > I only ever use Evolution under KDE. It uses gnome-keyring just as it does under Gnome. The only difference is that Evo prompts you for the keyring password on starting up under a new session (just the first
> > time) as it doesn't get this info automatically from the login widget as it does under Gnome.
> >
> > poc
> >
> > --
> > Seen that behaviour.
> >
> > Any chance of changing that? I mean, that gnome-keyring picking up the proper credentials?
> >
> > hw
>
>
> This is exactly why (half) solutions like this are really bad. A well
> designed service should be a back end that works everywhere - and allow
> front ends to be built (or shared) for different DE's.
>
> In this regard, the wallet managers are a failure.
>
> Network manager does it right - a daemon back end and a set of GUI's
> to partner with it. A decent key manager would be similar. There'd be a
> single API that apps can use - and the GUI's for user use the same API
> to communicate with it.
>
> The idea of having a tool for a common task is a good one - the design
> implementation is flawed and suffers from NIH.
>
> My view of course :-)

And mine, as I've said a number of times over the years. Last time I did
so (can't find the reference, sorry) someone mentioned
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/secret-storage-spec.
However that doesn't seem to be getting much traffic and the last update
was 6 months ago. AFAIK no major distro is using this at the moment.

Complaints about keyring/wallet incompatibility crop up quite regularly
on various lists, not just here, but the situation seems to be like the
weather: everyone complains but nobody does anything about it.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Can't send email

On 07/18/2011 08:34 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> but the situation seems to be like the
> weather: everyone complains but nobody does anything about it.

If the situation were really like the weather then nobody *can* do
anything about it. :-)

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Can't send email

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 09:56 +0200, J.Witvliet@mindef.nl wrote:
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Patrick O'Callaghan
> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:42 PM
> To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: Re: Can't send email
>
> > The OP didn't specify whether he was using Gnome or KDE. KMail uses
> > Kwallet I think, where as Evolution uses gnome-keyring. I would guess
> > the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.
>
> I only ever use Evolution under KDE. It uses gnome-keyring just as it does under Gnome. The only difference is that Evo prompts you for the keyring password on starting up under a new session (just the first
> time) as it doesn't get this info automatically from the login widget as it does under Gnome.
>
> poc
>
I have been using Evolution under Gnome for a long time and under Gnome
on my machine the first time you send a message it asks you for the SMTP
passwd. It would have a hard time getting it from the login widget since
login on my machines uses a different passwd.

--
================================================== =====================
The world is coming to an end--save your buffers!
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org