-   -   Can't run Software Update since upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/552110-cant-run-software-update-since-upgrade.html)

Alan Evans 07-13-2011 05:18 PM

Can't run Software Update since upgrade

I was a F13 holdout for a long time and finally caved to my machine
constantly nagging me to upgrade. I did the upgrade (preupgrade) to
F14, since I'm not ready to endure all the changes in F15. Still, I'm
surprised at the number of things that subtly (and not-so-subtly)
broke. I'll take it one thing at at time...

Today, the little icon in the system tray tells me that there are
updates, and clicking on it sure enough brings up the "Software
Update" app. However, selecting "Install Updates" merely results in a
dialog:

Authorization failed
You have failed to provide correct authorization.
Please check any passwords or account settings.

I was never asked to provide a password. Clicking on the "More
details" dropdown, helpfully states:

Failed to obtain authentication.

Gee, thanks for the additional details!

This same thing happened yesterday and I found that I could do the
update from a terminal with yum update. So I guess this isn't an
absolute show-stopper, but the GUI app ought to work, I think. How
should I begin troubleshooting this (like where should I go to
*actually* get more details)?

-Alan

Joe Zeff 07-15-2011 06:25 PM

On 07/13/2011 10:18 AM, Alan Evans wrote:
> This same thing happened yesterday and I found that I could do the
> update from a terminal with yum update. So I guess this isn't an
> absolute show-stopper, but the GUI app ought to work, I think. How
> should I begin troubleshooting this (like where should I go to
> *actually* get more details)?

I stopped using the Software Updater years ago. It would work Just Fine
to tell me I had updates, but when I tried to install them it would
insist that there wasn't a network connection. I have yumex installed
and it works Just Fine. (At one point, it too failed to find an
existing network connection, but I just disabled the check. It doesn't
need to check, because I'd never try to use it if my DSL were down.)