Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 AM
James McKenzie

Default Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

On 7/15/11 4:55 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> I for myself have been a big Gnome fan over a lot of years, and have
> been using it both at home and at work. I also have been a big LXDE
> and xmonad fan, which runs on all of my laptops. Not a big thing for
> me, I'll drop F15, and when F16 comes out, I'll stick with LXDE. It
> simply works and does not want to convince some Wind*ws users that
> Linux is the better choice...
Heinz:

I agree with this. This is why I keep on harping on Windows. It has
NOT worked properly since the 2.x days (and YES I do go back that far)
and each version introduces more and more 'back flips' of things you
have to do to get the job done. I love the fact that the system has to
be locked down so tight it squeaks to keep the 'bad guys' out. Most of
the systems I work with have not just one but TWO anti-virus systems.
Every mail system in the world that touches a Windows system has to have
anti-virus installed in case the system is infected, and so on. The
other thing that I love about Linux is that there is usually more than
one way to get the job done. Just is that the kernel developers have
been infected with this 'got to include the kitchen sink' thinking as
well. Makes it hell when you have to build a custom kernel to get it be
within the reference monitor version of things.

Anyway, let's see who sues who first....Should be interesting to see the
hordes of lawyers going at each other.

James

Old 07-17-2011, 01:13 AM
James McKenzie

On 7/16/11 1:25 PM, JB wrote:
> Roelof 'Ben' Kusters<web<at> bentrein.com> writes:
>
>> Change is gonna happen. And it's gonna destroy the status quo.
>> If you ask me, it's very urgent that that happens, because - next to a
>> whole new - perhaps Matrix like - approach to social interaction, it will
>> make room for other technologies too.
> Regarding the social interaction that the "change" will bless us with ...
>
> Fedora users after SELinux, GNOME 3, and systemd treatment.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015034/Owling-new-planking-New-crouching-craze-springs-internet.html
They don't like it. That is, again, their problem. The days when Linux
was inherently secure by obsurity are coming to an end. What do you
want do when that happens? I, for one, want things to remain secure.
SELinux is the ONLY approved method that I know of that can make an
entire system secure as possible.

>>> What about the privacy of those "clouds" ?
> R. Stallman, "clouds", security, privacy, law.
>
> http://www.searchenginejournal.com/stallmans-cloud-concerns-fight-for-laws-
> or-against-technology/26503/
Until the United States Congress revokes the U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act
your information that leaves your computer is just about public
knowledge to the U.S. Justice Department. They have a 'secret' court
system and can ask for a warrant for just about any reason at any time.
Interesting how Constitutional lawyers have not brought challenges of
all types against this overarching and power grabbing law. In any case,
we are the ones that have to remember what we say on the Internet is now
a matter of public record and can be used against us by those who should
be there to protect us.

James

Old 07-17-2011, 02:22 AM
"Roelof 'Ben' Kusters"

> You mean something like the Sixth Sense technology?

And there I thought I was thought of as living in LaLaLand and imagining
impossible things, and the destruction of western society. Turns out,
someone's already built it.

Whenever trying to set up a computer (device), I'm convinced that someone
else has already tried what I want to do - it's just a matter of finding a
report of it... This proves it to the extreme.

--
Greetz,

Roelof Kusters
aka Ben

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it
draws you in.

http://my.opera.com/bentrein

Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 11:23 +0000, JB wrote:
> Many "what about" questions that would have to be asked !

Like how do you keep on working when the cloud has evaporated? (Your
host goes out of business, or screws up their computers, or gets hacked,
or...)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:39 PM
James McKenzie

On 7/17/11 2:49 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 11:23 +0000, JB wrote:
>> Many "what about" questions that would have to be asked !
> Like how do you keep on working when the cloud has evaporated? (Your
> host goes out of business, or screws up their computers, or gets hacked,
> or...)

Most companies never think of this happening. And it does.

James